BlueTooth Connections - Information How to...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by echo4lima, May 2, 2004.

1. rickmelton

rickmelton Mobile Deity

Thanks for all the info. I had problems until I read page 3. Everything works fine now. Just love it when things work like they're supposed to.

Rick

2. foshizzle534

foshizzle534 Guest

can you just buy a bluetooth usb thingy for $50 and get bluetooth from your palm

3. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

Yes, provided your pda has bluetooth.

4. ramzi_

ramzi_ Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks guys, you've been a big help.

But I'm having some problems unfortunatly. The guides helped me set up my T3 and BT dongle, and they seem to be working just fine. The problem comes up when I switch users on the computer.

If the BT connection is established on one user's account, and someone switches to another one (not log off, just switching to another one), the T3 will no longer be able to connect.

It looks as if the little blue icon in the task bar turns green when a connection is established, and white when not. The icon will remain green (connected) in the original user account, but white (disconnected) in the new "switched to" account.

Shouldn't it remain connected regardless of user? Just like the way a DSL connection is set up to be shared by all users?

I'd appreciate any help.

5. TraTra

TraTra beep beep

Ramzi,
    Is it a Widows or a Mac computer?

6. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

If you use multiple users on a Windows machine it will only work with user that the Bluetooth drivers were installed on. You can not and don't try to install the drivers when signed into a different user.

This a Windows issue. The Bluetooth adapter will only work when signed into the correct user. There is no other option.

7. ramzi_

ramzi_ Mobile Enthusiast

TraTra, it's a Windows XP machine

Dean, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Now I find that if the user has been changed, and I return to the account where the BT software is installed, I have to unplug and replug the BT dongle everytime so that I can re-establish the connection between the PC and T3.

If I can't get around this somehow, I guess I'll be returning the BT adapter. There's tons of users in my home and changing accounts is a common thing. I can't be going to the PC and unplugging/re-plugging that adapter everytime I want to connect :(

Ah well.

EDIT: forgot to add the error I kept getting, it was:

Error: Serial: timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty modem. (0x0305)

8. UnLoGiC

UnLoGiC Mobile Deity

I just wanted to say thank you i followed the guide on the first page and my bluetooth works like a charm between my D-link BT dongle and my T3 (I'm posting this from my t3).

9. brianness

brianness Mobile Consultant

For what it's worth, my difficulty configuring bluetooth web browsing with a Tungsten T2 was in the Network Preferences. The manual IP address was being utilized in spite of the fact I later checked the "automatic" box. That manual IP address had to be emptied before the "automatic" checkbox functioned properly.

10. Rev. Otto

Rev. Otto Grand Poobah

Has anything changed since the release of Windows XP SP2? I did a clean install and now that bluetooth devices are more easily managed through windows I'm curious if the method for getting an internet connection through bt is different?