BlueTooth Connections - Information How to...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by echo4lima, May 2, 2004.

1. pkuehnel

pkuehnel Mobile Enthusiast

Great setup page, Dean! But it only deals with getting an internet connection via a LAN with my home computer (mine happens to be a Mac with no Bluetooth). I would like to use Web Pro on my T3 using my V600's Cingular GPRS service as the access. PalmOne has not released Phone Link drivers for the T3 for the V600 yet, and I don't know when they will or if that is my issue. I am using the Phone Link driver for a Moto TP280 from PalmOne. I have been able to pair the T3 and phone just fine for exchange of contact info from my T3's Contacts app into the phone's Phonebook. The phone has internet access that is working just fine for its own tiny "browser", but when I try to use WebPro via Bluetooth and the phone, it just hangs at the initial connection point, with a dialog box called "Service Connection Progress" that alternates between "Initializing Cingular GPRS" with a phone receiver icon and a open book icon ("Signing On") and never gets past that point. It is unable to make the connection. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Click here for the answer to your question.

GPRS works fine using these instructions. I think there is a script listed for Cingular in a thread further down the page.

3. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

I still have the same problem.

I set up the bluetooth connections and everything works fine until I restart the computer (or turn off and back on). After that I get DNS errors on my T3. To fix it I have to disable internet sharing and click OK and than again enable it (the second steps lasts almost a minuite). I do not have any idea what to do, help!
    Thx.

4. pkuehnel

Used the aforementioned Cingular script, userID and password, and voila! T3's WebPro works fine via Bluetooth and V600. But from a perfunctory look at the login, it seems that this is getting me WAP service, not GPRS. I was under the impression that GPRS is supposed to be faster than WAP and is billed in Kb actually used, not minutes online (which is how I thought WAP is billed). Cingular told me prior to my script changes that I would need to use their QuickLink software to configure my PDA to work on their network. Of course, nobody at 2 different Cingular stores knew where to get the QuickLink software, the tech support person said it was available on their website, but then could not even find it herself. Three questions-1) Is this setup getting me true GPRS functionality and billing; 2) Is GPRS better and/or faster and/or cheaper than WAP; and 3) Has anyone ever heard of Cingular's QuickLink, used it or know if it will give me any better pricing or performance over this script? Thanks to all for being so helpful.

5. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

I think gprs is the type of connection while the WAP is like how the data is sent over that connection. Cingular has CSD where you actually use the phone as a modem to an ISP, and that is billed by the minutes.

6. stuey

stuey Mobile Enthusiast

Wap is done in the style of Dialup, GPRS is done differently and billed by the mb you transfer.

7. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I do not think this is true. As said above, WAP is just a way the information is formatted to be viewed on the Internet. With a GPRS connection you can go to WAP site with a WAP browser or go to other sites with a regular browser. You can also go to a WAP site if connected via CSD, or even a landline modem. WAP is not a connection, but a formatting type. Correct me if I'm wrong......

8. Ninja

Ninja Mobile Deity

WAP=Wireless Access Protocol...It governs Layout, Format, etc.

GPRS=Connection type. It is an "always on" connection, like DSL/Cable. Cingular bills this in kb, but they do have an unlimited plan. AKA WIX for Cingular.

CSD=Connection type. It operates like "dial-up". Cingular bills this by the minute. Also known as Data/Fax service, since it will allow your cell to "be" a modem or fax. AKA WI for Cingular.

Pkuehnel--If the phone says GPRS, and the Network Preference in the T|T3 logs on as WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM via a LAN Connection, you are on the GPRS network. If the Network Preference shows WAP@CINGULAR.COM via a phone number, you are using a CSD connection.

As to the speed/billing stuff, GPRS is generally faster than CSD. For cost, it depends on your plan. If your minutes are cheap/unlimited, CSD may be the way to go. Personally, I like GPRS and am willing to pay for it. Cingular does have an Unlimited Plan, they call it MEdia Package or something.

Never used Quicklink, I find I can do everything it advertises for free.

To finally verify your Connection Type, check your phone's Data Counter, it only functions when GPRS is used. :D

HTH

9. pkuehnel

Thanks, man. The connection "icon" on the screen translates as GPRS. But they didn't seem to being showing up as Kb on my bill. I still need to check the log on my phone and see what I see. I'm starting to understand it more as I use it.

Have a nice weekend, all.

10. pkuehnel

Pkuehnel--If the phone says GPRS, and the Network Preference in the T|T3 logs on as WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM via a LAN Connection, you are on the GPRS network. If the Network Preference shows WAP@CINGULAR.COM via a phone number, you are using a CSD connection.

Mine is a LAN connection as WAP@CINGULAR.COM, not via a phone number.