BlueTooth Connections - Information How to...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by echo4lima, May 2, 2004.

1. Thump57

Thump57 Mobile Enthusiast

Dean - thanks for the quick response. I am running xp home edition and the adapter is the Belkin FET001. That makes some sense in that I didn't get xp's new hardware recognized wizard when I hooked up the dongle. I will experiment when I get home!

Steve

2. Thump57

Well, I uninstalled the software (once using add/remove software and once using Belkin's uninstall), powered down the PC and removed the dongle from its direct connection to the PC. After rebooting, I installed the prepackaged Belkin (and there might have been a required reboot) and attached the dongle directly to the usb port. XP home edition detected the new device, and I loaded the drivers myself from the Belkin program files directory (which is what the Belkin manual instructs). I then set up My Bluetooth places with the network service only, repaired the device, and setup the ICS on my broadband (all per your document). I then setup the palm from scratch (deleted the old connection and network), tested, and got the same error.

One thing I noticed while experimenting - I couldn't add my PC as a trusted device to my palm when initiating the process from my palm. In other words, I can pair the devices if I start with My Bluetooth places on the PC, but I can't go the other direction. Does this mean anything and does it support the apparent hardware issue I have?

Also, would upgrading to XP pro help anything out? Is there a best way to uninstall the software and dongle hardware to make sure you really start from scratch?

Sorry for all the detailed questions but any guidance is appreciated..!

Steve

3. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

The fact that the Bluetooth adapter was seen when plugged in is a good sign.

Under "Entire Bluetooth Neighborhood" do you show your Palm as a paired device? Does it have the red check mark next to the icon? Your still getting the, Error: Serial: timed out. could be bad cable or faulty Modem, (0x0305) ?

Being able to pair from the PC and not the Palm seems normal.

1. Re-check all your settings.

2. Perform a soft reset on the Palm. (Use stylus and poke it in the back reset hole)

3. Still doesn't work? Then delete pairing and re-pair with PC. Make sure you re-select the PC in the connection setting. See my guide for more details, Click here.

4. Soft reset again.

It should work if everything else is correct.

4. Thump57

Dean - how do you really delete the pairing? When in my bluetooth places, I can only see the pairing status when looking for devices. I don't see any way to "delete" the pairing - only unpair the device. Also, could it be possible that I need to somehow make the belkin device discoverable or is that not really a concern since I can pair from the pc...?

One other thought - do users have better luck with products such as 3Com or TDK's usb dongles that have been through palmone's compatibility testing?

Thanks again!

Steve

5. roknrol

roknrol Mobile Enthusiast

Hi,

I ended up trying to set my Bluetooth up on a different computer. I have had much more success in so far as it says it is connected.

However, when I go to Webpro I get the following error:
    DNS lookup timed out. Please check coverage, and try again. [Comm. 8]

When I look up the log in Network it gives these details:

Service name: Bluetooth LAN
    Local IP Addresss: 192.168.0.1
    Gateway address: 0.0.0.0
    DNS address:

Any suggestions?

roknrol

6. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Local IP address can not be 192.168.0.1

It has to be 192.168.0.xxx with "xxx" being anything but "1".

Check my guide and see if you have set it up to get IP automatically.

7. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Belkin's work great for most.

You can un-pair on the PC and delete the pairing on the Palm. It is in my guide. Click here.

8. roknrol

Sorry for my ignorance but when it says:
    Local IP address: 192.168.0.1
    whose IP address is this referring to?

I have a home network that has 4 computers connected to it, as well as a DSL router. These are all connected bya D-Link Switch.

Is the above IP address the computer I have plugged the Bluetooth adapter into or the Palm or ...

I had a hunch it wasn't supposed to be "1" but now I don't know where it change it!

Thanks for your patience.

roknrol

9. roknrol

Ah!

I worked it out. It is the IP address of the Palm. I changed it to
    IP Address: 192.168.0.8

It didn't fix my problem though. When I try Webpro I still get:

DNS lookup timed out. Please check coverage, and try again. [Comm. 8]

When I go back to Network in Prefs I find that I am disconnected and have to connect again.

(I'm sure one day I will think all the puzzling was worthwhile ... not sure my wife will ;-) )

roknrol

10. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

You say that you have four computers connected by a switch and you have a DSL router. Is it really a router, or a DSL modem? If it is a router and it has an assigned IP of 192.168.0.1 then this is the problem. If you read my router section here nothing can be on this IP. It must be used by ICS for Bluetooth sharing to work correctly.

When you set up your home network did you ever run the Windows Network wizard and enable ICS for this Home Network? If so, this could be the problem as well. Windows probably already has ICS enabled for this Home Network.

If you are using a switch ICS is not necessary for you to share your DSL among your 4 computers.