BlueTooth Connections - Information How to...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by echo4lima, May 2, 2004.

1. echo4lima

echo4lima Semper, Silens, Mortalis

Is there a way to 'sticky' a posting or this post below the WI-FI with a few links regarding BT connections? There seems to be at least 2-3 posts per day regarding this subject and although many take the time to explain, they seem to get lost day to day. There are 2-3 good references out there for BT on T, T2 and T3.

Bluetooth Connections for your TUNGSTEN

Bluetooth Adapter Setup for the Palm Tungsten /T series

Bluetooth Connections

X-Bridge Bluetooth Access Point

Belkin Bluetooth Access Point

To Start......

2. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

I agree with echo4lima. I am currently struggling with getting a Bluetooth connection going and a thread dedicated to useful guides would be handy. I wonder whether Bluetooth/WiFi might deserve a separate forum altogether as I never know where to post?
    Thanks for the list BTW.

3. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

It would be a good idea. A lot of have BT and struggle with set up issues, coverage, etc.

4. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I think that would be a great idea. I have read and followed several bluetooth guides and none of them have helped me with the problem that I am having. I have also not been able to get an answer on this forum. I think that a separate forum would be great. I plan to go to Apple with my problem when I have the time. Here it is in case some kind soul posts the answer before I have time to call Apple.

I am having am problem creating (and deleting) ports that work to sync my T3 with my Mac (OS 10.2.8) using bluetooth. I am using Bluetooth Serial Utility 3.4 to create the ports. I am also using a Belkin Bluetooth USB Adapter. I know that a bluetooth sync is really slow but it seems like a good place to start learning about bluetooth and its quirks. I have been able to successfully pair my Mac and my T3; but when I try and hotsync using bluetooth, I get the message: unable to initiate hotsync operation because the port is in use by another application.

When I create a port, there is a drop down menu for port type: RS-232 or modem. Which one do I want to use? Next when I am creating a port do I need to select my device??? Should the port be incoming or outgoing? What other boxes should or shouldn't be checked (ie. show in network preferences)? I have created a variety of ports to see which work. No matter which port I setup and use, I still get the message port in use by another application. Now here is where I think the problem lies. Of all the ports that I have deleted, edited, or created, there is one that I can not dete or edit. It says the port is in use by an application and I need to quit the application. I have done numerous restarts and a variety of other things to no avail. I always get a message that the port is in use by an application. What am I missing? I have been able to delete and edit other ports but not this one. It has to be something very simple and probably obvious

5. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

echo4lima,

It looks like you got your wish.....

Top of the list for Bluetooth setup info. This was a good idea.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful Ward, but I do not own a Mac. I do have some links on My Bluetooth Setup guide for Mac users. Maybe check those out again?

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Dean,
    Your info is fabulous and even the Mac links are pretty good. They just do not go into enough detail about the ports on a Mac. It definitely looks like an Apple problem (There are so few of us). Eventually I will figure it out. Fortunatley it is not something I really need to do. It is just about the learning of how things work and what the technlogy is capable of. Thanks for a great guide.

7. roknrol

roknrol Mobile Enthusiast

I've tried all the instructions found at the sites listed in the first message of this thread. I still don't get a connection. I did get Web access going once via Bluetooth but then it stopped and I've waisted many hours trying to find out what went wrong. I keep getting the error:
    "cError: Serial: timeout: could be bad cable or faulty Modem (0x0303)"
    This error is on the Palm ... a T3

Anybody have a suggestion ...

cheers

Near Crazy

8. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Delete the pairing between the Palm and the PC. Then repair the Palm to the PC. Make sure you re-select the paired PC in the last box of the connection setting on the Palm.

Click here for the details.

9. Thump57

Thump57 Mobile Enthusiast

Dean - I am in the same boat as the above user roknrol...

I walked through your guide and received the Error:Serial:timeout. I have the Bluetooth radio on, and I have re-paired my devices multiple times (each time making sure to add my PC to the Bluetooth Lan connection). I only have the Bluetooth network access service enabled and the PC shows that it starts automatically and that its actually started. Also, I have selected "allow other devices to access the Intranet/Lan via this connection" on the Bluetooth network access service. Lastly, I do get an audio notification from this service when I attempt to connect.

On my control panel>network connections screen the information is a little different from your screenshots. I have a "lan or High speed internet heading" and a "Dial up" heading as you do, however I also have a "Broadband" heading which is where my DSL connection shows up. The "Bluetooth network" and a generic looking "Lan connection" show up under the heading "Lan or high speed internet". Could this somehow be part of my problem? I've tried setting up ICS on both my DSL connection and the generic Lan connection and neither one has worked.

Also, when I try the connection (and it fails) and view the network log I don't see any communication lines - the first line is the service name, which comes across as blank, the second line is the Local IP address which comes across as 128.0.0.0, the third line is the gateway address which I believe was all zeros, and the last line is the DNS address which shows 192.168.0.1.

IS there any information here that might help me get the T3 up and running? Any guidance you have is appreciated - if you think we can get past this, I'll be more than happy to help with the os6 fund. Thanks!

Steve

10. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Thump57,

Which version of Windows are you using? What brand of Bluetooth adapter are you using? Do you have the USB Bluetooth adapter directly connected to a USB port on the PC, not connected to a hub?

I would first suggest moving the Bluetooth adapter to another USB port on the PC. You might have a bad USB port. You should re-boot the PC after doing this or have the PC off. Now make sure the PC sees the adapter on this new USB port, and then try to make the connection again. If it still gives you the serial timeout error and you are using a extension cable between the BT adapter and the USB port I would use another one if you have it, or just plug the BT adapter directly into the USB port you were just using. If it now works, you have a bad extension cable.

If the Bluetooth software cannot find the BT adapter on the new USB port you might have to un-install and re-install the Bluetooth drivers. If you have to do this you will need to re-setup the settings on the PC and the Palm.

This error message is related to a hardware issue, meaning that for some reason the Palm can not find the Bluetooth adapter that is connected to the PC.