Blue Screen - hotsync - Vista

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by grantorinosport, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantorinosport

grantorinosport Mobile Evangelist

I have been having consistant windows blue screens during the later part of hotsyncs on my PC. The PC is running Vista, I am using Hotsync 6.2 and had the outlook conduits installed for Office 2007.

When I first got my TX (two months ago) it seemed fine, both under Palm Desktop and Outlook (have tried it a couple of ways). Then later on it started to blue screen. I would wipe the user account on the PC to no avail and eventually started to uninstall and reinstall the PC Palm Desktop Software. Sometimes it would help a little, but not much. I even hard resetted the TX thinking it was a Palm problem (I did find one issue with the DB program and removed it).

Last night, I figured I would try something different and tried to hotsync my 755p (it is pretty vanilla and had never been hotsynced before) and the same blue screen resulted. This morning at work I hotsynced my TX to my laptop (running win2k and hotsync 6.2) and it is fine, no problems. I have also tried different USB ports, etc.

The blue screen results in the error message "BAD_POOL_CALL".

I get the impression there is a problem in my windows vista at home that has a corruption of some sort, but trying to clean out all the Palm stuff (clean uninstall) and reinstalling Outlook never helped. When last night I reinstalled Palm desktop software I chose "sync with Palm desktop" instead of outlook (to take it out of the equation) - still no change.

Certainly a complete reformat of my drive and clean reinstall of Vista, etc is on my to-do list, but is there anything else I can do to fix this problem without a clean reformat (no, I do not want to go back to XP)?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

2. cyberdude2

cyberdude2 It's SuperDad!

Not sure if this will help , but on XP a similar thing happens and is easily fixed by deleting all references to the Palm USB driver and then letting windows rediscover. I use this as my guide:

start the registry editor (regedit, or regedt32)
    backup your registry for good measure (export from within editor)
    locate the keys below and follow instructions below

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_0830&Pid_0061

Right click, select permissions, allow full control, hit ok, and delete this key.

Do this with each control set where you find this key.

3. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Your USB problems could be caused by other USB devices, hubs, cables, etc. The error indicates problems on the USB bus, involving either with power or bandwidth.

Simplify your USB connection: temporarily disconnect all other USB devices, then use a short-length USB cable known to be good, connecting the USB Sync device directly to the USB root hub (PC). Additional USB hubs (self-powered or not) are usually trouble areas for USB networks. Note that if your PC has multiple USB ports, then the pair actually mounted on the motherboard (usually on the backplate, with all the other IO ports) is the only USB controller guaranteed to be directly connected to the Southbridge elements of the chipset; all other USB ports could use "add-on" controller chips which offer equal or lesser performance and reliability.

Reinstall your USB drivers (probably your chipset drivers).

Reinstall your Sync software (probably not necessary, but won't hurt). Backup your "Sync" data first if you feel it's necessary.

If this problem persists then you may have a hardware or electrical failure somewhere in your chain of connected devices. Or a corrupt OS. Or your Sync device itself is suffering intermittent failure.

4. grantorinosport

As usual, you guys hit the nail right on the head!

I tried different USB ports, etc to no avail.

But after installing the latest motherboard driver set, problem is now solved!

Thanks again! You guys Rock!

Regards,

Scott

5. grantorinosport

So the blue screen came back. After going back and forth reinstalling MB drivers and Palm Desktop Software, I finally found (what appears to be so far) the final solution.

So I found an old post on the Palm forums about having the older 4.x Hotsync and then upgrading to 6.2 will not always replace everything, so the recommendation was to delete the files (like from the PalmOne directory, USB folders in the Palm folders, etc). I looked, but had already deleted all of that stuff.

So based on cyberdude2's recommendation to delete the USB registry entry, I went down that path. Now the problem in Vista, is normally you just can't go into the reg editor and delete a hardware device (like you can on XP). There are ways to do it, and some hack programs, etc, but nothing easy unless you are a Vista guru.

So I found this information of how to do it in Vista. Thought I'd post it here if someone else has the same problem in the future:

a workaround for removing unpluged hardware:

open a cmd window:

enter: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

than start devmgmt.msc (do not use compmgmt.msc)

go to "view" than select show hidden devices

you will see the list of all hardware ever pluged in the computer (grey color), than just uninstall

I found (in grey) every piece of harware I had ever plugged into the machine. Old memory sticks, mice, keyboards, you name it. I deleted it all for good measure (be careful before you do something like that, the results could be bad), but the Palm shows up in a couple of different palces (like the CardReader software, etc).

When you go back to reg editor, the noted entry from cyberdude2:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_0830&Pid_0061

(same in Vista & XP)

is now gone.

I reinstalled the MB drivers and Palm Desktop (which I uninstalled prior to the above tasks). Restarted, plugged in the Palm, let it find it, and Hotsyncing has been fine (and I think a little faster) since.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

HKEY\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum Registry entries are established at bootup (BIOS PCI/PnP data and OS/driver hardware detection) ... specific entries under these keys tend to be unique for each machine, and can even be unique to each boot session. Manual changes within these keys are often ignored or temporary in any event.

In short, you and cyberdude have different hardware, so these parts of your Registry contain different system data. Changes which might work on either machine probably won't work on any other.

I'd recommend following through the steps I mentioned above, just to eliminate possible problems if nothing else.

- reinstall or upgrade your USB/chipset drivers (which you've apparently done)
    ... if problems persist ... (which they apparently do)
    - reinstall your Sync software

... if problems persist ...
    - OS is corrupt or unstable (requires reinstall), or
    - Hardware failure (or failures) exists at some point between USB port and USB device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.