Blackberry VS Pocket PC, which one is better?

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Binh, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binh

Binh PDA User

Which one is better? Is it Blackberry or Pocket PC (O2 XDA Life, etc.)

I've been only using O2 so far. It's hard to buy one nowadays for cheap price in my area. Someone told me Blackberry would be a nicer choice for business purpose. Is it true?

Can Blackberry do those I need?
    1. Office sync
    2. Contact sync
    3. Install some custom software like eWallet, dictionary, etc.

What else makes it better than an O2 Life?

Thanks in advanced.

2. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I might point out there are already 2 of these threads in the handhelds/PDA section...

BB is good for email and basically nothing else. WM can do the same email that BB can and a lot more with a better software library and a better interface. depending on your carrier BB may also cost you an additional $40 a month. (opinions in a nutshell)

To answer your questions though
    1.sorta... depends on how you store them and how you set up your sync
    2.yes but limited PIM info
    3.sorta... some software has a BBOS version, some doesnt, you need to contact the software manufacturer.

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

You technically can do those things with BB, but it has a very small selection of third party software. Blackberries are designed to do email well; anything else is secondary and usually ignored.

4. Binh

Binh PDA User

That seems it's not a good choice for me, right?

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I would agree.

6. The General

The General Mobile Enthusiast

This is a common misconception, Blackberrys have gone beyond being purely email devices. Interface is subjective but I personally prefer the interface over WM due to lack of bloat and it's simplicity.

You can sync calender and contact details over-the-air with BES, I'm not sure what the limitations are because I don't use it on my BB. There is third-party software, though a limited selection. I would define them as a "smartphone" rather than a PDA, if you look to buy a phone with mobile email and media then you will be pleasantly surprised. If you want a full PDA with hoards of custom apps then it's best to look elsewhere.

7. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Blackberries do email and PIM exceedingly well. Media is sort of ok, judging by my friends' Blackberries, and everything else that it does was an afterthought. Call quality beats the snot out of my friend's Treo 680, at least on the really new BB's.

8. The General

The General Mobile Enthusiast

Agreed, partly. The email is incredibly good, you have to use one to realise quite how easy it is but I can say for certain it beats any other phone I have ever used (Including Versamail on my T|X, I don't know how much difference it has to the Treo version though). Media support is OK and PIM is passable, it makes a good phone and there are a few nice applications for it.

9. Lasermn

Lasermn Pearl User

The Pearl and Curve offer camera, video, mp3 playback and, up to 8 gig of storage as well as email and internet connectivity. I also have synced ACT as that is my contact manager. It works perfectly with ACT or "Outlook. The phone portion of the Pearl, is hands down the best mobile unit I have used. I love my Pearl.

10. expressviewer

expressviewer Mobile Enthusiast

That is very interesting. I use my BB to connect (phone, txt, email, yahoo, BB messaging) and i use my PDA for something else entirely - GPS navigation, games, java programming... so this question never really came up for me (excuse me for being the small voice in the corner)

now, i am exploring the question, could i have just one device that does all of these???!!!! now i ask myself, where have i been all this while!