BIG changes at DroidTV, $$-wise, on Feb.1st

Discussion in 'Online and Brick and Mortar Store Deals' started by RickAgresta, Jan 11, 2017.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Current prices:

Screenshot_2017-01-11-19-30-00.png

New prices & 'structure' effective 01February2017:

.DroidTV has always worked hard to provide quality TV at a fair price. We have been able to keep the same low price for the past four years, but now we find that we must make some changes to reflect our continuing costs of doing business.
    Rather than raising prices in general, we are changing to use a monthly recurring subscription model, similar to that used by other TV services, such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Our monthly price will remain $6.99 and will be automatically charged to your credit card or PayPal account each month. The 90-day and yearly options will be removed. The unlimited, lifetime option will remain, at $199.
    These changes are effective February 1st. Any existing one-month, 90-day, or yearly purchases made before that date, including multiple pre-purchases, will remain valid until they expire normally. After expiration, you will be directed to sign up for the standard monthly subscription using DroidTV’s Subscription screen. As always, lifetime subscriptions will remain unchanged, with a permanent ongoing subscription.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Boy, oh, boy am I glad I grabbed an on-sale lifetime for $99 last November. :newpalm:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've been very happy with it. My only regret is not getting the lifetime subscription earlier. It has been well worth it! :)

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm curious... I've heard abut DroidTV but for some reason or other only now I've decided to try it. I see there's a lot of shows that I like and are not available on Netflix, but there seems to be awfully little information about this service online. Even their website has very little information. I signed for a trial subscription, but every show I download appears in standard definition, and I see no way to select HD in the app or the download dialogues. Is HD only available for paid or lifetime subscriptions?

EdmundDantes likes this.
  5. Hook

As far as I know, there is no HD, or at least there is no setting for quality, so I take that to mean there is no HD. Whatever qyality they are looks great on my 10.5" Amoled Tablet screen. Some older episodes can be a little lower quality that new shows, but I've never personally been bothered by it. For me, the important thing is they aren't streaming, which I can't do, so I'm happy. You might ask on their Facebook page.

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

How do they look on a 6" AMOLED (and sound on those dual front-facing speakers)? Now that you're packing 128GB, does Hookette pull theater duty? Can't remember if you mentioned that use in your other thread. I was stunned by my Nexus 6 speakers when I got them. Can't recall if you mentioned being impressed by your 6P speakers.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

I tried the speakers once and they are very good, However, I don't do a whole lot of listening on speaker. Most of my TV watching is on the commuter train, so use ear buds. Even at home, I tend to use headphones so as not to bother Mrs. Hook. ;-)

I've been debating switching Droid TV to the 6p. It would be more portable and it has a fabulous screen. However, I do like the big tablet screen. We'll see. Whichever I choose, I can always move files to the other.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thanks, Hook. You're right, newer episodes are downloaded at higher quality. I had been watching TNG and Firefly, and both were downloaded in what appears to be 480p or something like that. But last night I downloaded the latest TBBT episode, and it's HD. Very high quality for a file just 125MB in size. The difference in quality is very much apparent on my phone, much more so if I cast to the TV. I guess DroidTV just snatches whatever it can find around, regardless of the quality.

Lifetime subscription is listed right now at USD 120... that's very expensive! But running the numbers it seems to be worthy in the long run. Our current cable TV (actually sat TV) is lousy, with only 4 HD movie channels. I keep it just because my wife likes certain non-movie channels, like stuff from Discovery and The Food Network. I see several of her shows listed on DroidTV. I think I'll try to set up a system for her to watch, if sucessful I could dump the sat TV, for which we're paying around USD 300 a year. Will have to think of some way to keep it simple, as she doesn't like to wade through menus and selecting devices to cast to and from.

jigwashere, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I had the same concerns as Raspa. Every time this got mentioned here, I'd check it out; but the website isn't very illuminating.

$120 is only up $21 on the 'special deal' from Christmas right? Above, someone said the regular price was $199 though. If it covers all those shows, $120 is cheap.

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  10. Hook

Again, It's $120 only until Jan 31st, and it is a good deal. Feb 1st it goes up to $199. Most of the details are on the Facebook page where you can ask any questions you want. You can even PM the owners.