Betrayal! Mrs. InternetPilot goes iPhone...HUH???

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Nov 8, 2018.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I've been tempted before as I've mentioned here. I really was going to take the plunge and buy a full-boat XS Max with 512 GB, the whole thing. Then I read that with the other new Apple devices they incorporated a USB-C port with the converter plug and that that would likely be used in the NEXT upgrade for the iPhone. So how do I justify blowing almost $1500 (tax, etc.) on a top iPhone when the Lightning port and headphone converter is going to be obsolete almost immediately? I'm kind of ticked off to be honest because I need a new phone and am not sure if I should buy a used phone in the interim. I cannot believe they didn't develop that jointly with all the other devices converting over.

internetpilot and scjjtt like this.
  2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, that is indeed the issue. My latest phone (Moto G5S Plus) was rather difficult to root, has basically zero ROM/dev support (that will work with USA carriers), and I don't think my son's Moto G6 still has a stable, reliable root, recovery, etc. The latest Samsung models are the same way, except that on top of all that, you have to deal with ridiculous Knox. Google Pixels (THE Android flagship of flagships) are ridiculously expensive for less features (no extended storage options, no headphone jack, no user serviceable battery, etc.), and support from Google for their hardware or software is basically non-existent. My way that I've always used mobile phones (since moving on my Palm Treo to a HTC EVO 4G) is all but gone.

Another recent development is that both of the family's Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablets lost their wifi capabilities within weeks of each other. The wifi simply no longer works and was troubleshooted to being a hardware issue. The only Android tablet that we currently have is my rather ancient Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition. Of course Samsung being Samsung, they abandoned updates for it like a year after its release, so long ago I rooted/ROM'd it, so it's currently running Nougat. I was running LineageOS on it, but then it started stuttering all audio badly (no matter how many versions of the LineageOS I went back to), so I think I'm now running an likely abandoned Resurrection Remix ROM on it, so that's pretty much a dead end for that device. The rest of our tablets are iPads (including an iPad Pro 12.9), and all future tablets likely will be as well. That's just that much less Android in this house.

Basically, Android device manufactures are just continuing to push techies like me more and more to Apple. It's almost impossible to root Android phones anymore, Android tablets are really low quality hardware that's only really viable and supported by the manufacturer for a year, and all the manufacturers are removing features from their devices to make them more like Apple devices. Apple devices are better supported (by Apple and 3rd-parties), they almost indefinitely update their OS, and all the mobile devices basically have Apple's limited, locked down feature set, so why not just go with the better supported product?

jigwashere, Hook and headcronie like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not to disagree with your opinions, IP, but I was surprised the Pixels didn't support USB OTG -- according to a quick Google™ search, they do: "google pixel usb to go"

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I really understand your perspective here, IP. I just received my November 2018 security update from Dirty Unicorns for my Nexus 6p. It will probably be my last because (I believe-- would love to be wrong) Google has decided the Nexus 6p will get no more security updates. The phone is only 3 years old. I've only had mine 2 years, bought brand new, and it is in pristine condition and works beautifully. I have no idea what I'll do when it is headed for it's last round-up. I guess the One Plus phones are the closest these days to a Nexus-- Premium features at an upper mid-range price-- and Dirty Unicorns folks tend to own them so they are supported. Or I could just say I don't need that much from my phone and buy lower priced Motos and change em out every couple of years. However, if I were going to pay for a truly premium phone, I'd have to seriously consider the QA and support advantages of the iPhone over something like the Pixel.

5. internetpilot

I would be surprised if any relatively current Android phone didn't support USB OTG, but I don't consider USB OTG to be a viable method of expanding phone storage any more than I view using a USB-C or Lightning Connector dongle viable for for continuing to use industry standard 3.5mm headphones. I just think all mobile devices are going in the wrong direction (for the most part), but if that's what they're all doing, then I might as well go with the best supported brand. If I'm going to be annoyed and miserable, I might as well have better access to 3rd-party accessories and virtually lifelong access to updates.

6. internetpilot

I so wish Dirty Unicorns would officially support the Moto G5S Plus. There was an unofficial version that looked promising, but unfortunately it's no different than any other Moto G5S Plus ROMs in that it's Indian sourced with proprietary blobs from their regions variation of the device, so it just doesn't work with USA carriers (at least not very well on GSM carriers and basically not at all on Sprint - CDMA). It's so frustrating. I wish I was able to compile it myself, but I looked into the process with LineageOS and I just don't feel like getting a Linux machine up and running just for that, and then I still don't know entirely what I'm doing, so I'm sure there would be issues blah blah blah.

In addition to the rather strange feeling associated with leaning toward Apple for my future mobile device, I'm also finding myself rooting for the TMobile takeover of Sprint. I'm now at the point where I'm just ready for CDMA to go away, so I can also take advantage of phones like the new Nokia line, OnePlus, etc., which only operate on GSM carriers.

You know, it's funny. The whole mobile device industry has always been trying to make their devices more like Apple's, but in the end it's always a great big swing and a miss, because none of them support their devices with updates anywhere near as long as Apple does. You want to copy Apple? How about you copy that! Thanks!

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I think this is what Donald Trump said to his marriage counselor.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This really comes down to the fact that Apple controls everything—supply chain, manufacturing, software, distribution and even what users are allowed to do. In the end, us tweakers may find the walled garden confining, but it's hard to beat the QA you get with that much control. Fascism in tech devices may have an advantage as long as users don't get sent to re-education camps when they try and hack. :vbeek: :vbgrin:

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I guess the real test will be, if you should convert to an iPhone, how often will you upgrade it? If you're in the 2-3 year range, I'll most certainly question the logic behind your move. If you beat that range, well then you're reaping in your rewards with extended OS upgrades / updates.

I have not rooted my phone since I had my Note 4. My job entails communications with student data. I cannot risk that data on a device that does not automatically update with security updates. I no longer have the desire to manually flash my phone for every update. I have found tools that allow me to customize my device to the way I want it, and have made purchases of every software title possible to get rid of advertisements. The only thing I'd root for now is device wide adblocking. As I see hardly any ads now, it isn't worth it. If I buy a device when it is new, I get 3 years of support. After 3 years, the device needs a new battery, and the cost of doing so may as well be rolled into the purchase of a new device rather than stringing along an older device.

Just for reference, my retired but still running Note 5, is still getting security updates. Release date: August 21, 2015

That's my story. :)

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

iPhones have higher resale value, but I don't know how much that might factor in to the logic equation.

I'm pretty happy now with buying a phone like the Moto G6 at a discount through Project Fi. I like the plan, the monthly expense, and the phone options are acceptable. I think I can afford to upgrade every couple of years, and now Project Fi will be offering free Google VPN on all internet connections (carrier and WiFi), just as soon as I get Android Pie (probably my next upgrade).

Android Authority - Project Fi phones are now secure 24/7 with free Google VPN