Betrayal! Mrs. InternetPilot goes iPhone...HUH???

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Nov 8, 2018.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I couldn't believe it myself. Mrs. InternetPilot, a rather high-tech individual (CIO, CiSO) finally upgraded her Samsung Galaxy S5 Active to a...gasp...Apple iPhone XR. Now, if that wasn't bizarre enough, I....I....I....(this hurts)....actually really like it!

For years now the one button iPhone has been annoying me on a grand scale. If someone would've told me, "InternetPilot, Apple is going to get rid of it's one-button navigation design, replace it with no buttons, and you're going to love it" I would've told them to ask their doctor to increase their meds. But it's true. I love the new swipe navigation so much, that I actually changed my Nova Launcher on my Moto G5S Plus to mimic it. We also replaced my youngest son's problematic iPhone 7 with an XR. His first question, "Where is the fingerprint sensor?" I told him it's probably on the back in the Apple logo or something. Nope! He was appalled to find out that they had eliminated the fingerprint scanner, too! And then he saw their face recognition in action and now loves it.

It's fast, it's smooth, it's plenty big (but not too big), and it charges wirelessly on all my old Nexus 6 Qi chargers that were just laying around the house not being used.

It took them 10 iPhone models, but Apple may have actually just won me over. :eek:

RickAgresta, Hook, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - don't give in to the dark side - use the force.

I understand the loss. Years ago our son-in-law led our daughter & now 3 kids to Apple. Our daughter-in-law got our son the iPhone X last October for his birthday & he replaced her LG v10 with an iPhone 8. But don't worry - I'm staying strong!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Fruit is good for you. :newpalm:

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And I haz a new fruit since Sept 21. :vbwink:

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I married into an Apple relationship. We're a house divided. She's got the 8+. I've got the Note 8. She gets flustered trying to use my phone. I get... yeah, I don't try to use her device. I'll never be a convert, and I have little chance of ever converting her.

Thank goodness she's a Vikings fan. At least we can come together over that. :)

6. internetpilot

The problem is...

...I actually like it.

I had no problems what-so-ever setting up my wife's XR for her.

The problem I am having is that I haven't found an Android flagship caliber phone that I really like. I like my son's Moto G6 a lot, but it's not a flagship caliber phone, just like my Moto G5S Plus isn't. Both are actually consolations. The main reason I don't like most Android flagships is because they're simply iPhone clones -- no expandable memory, non-removable battery, no headphone jack...if I'm going to have to do without all those, I might as well go with the brand that started all that nonsense, and at least Apple reliably supports and updates their phones (unlike Android).

Anyway, that's the point I'm at currently. Definitely an if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them scenario.

headcronie, lelisa13p, Hook and 4 others like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - you're on slippery ground - :)

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

8. internetpilot

Definitely a place I never thought I'd be, but...such is the current state of the Android mobile phone industry....sadly....

9. headcronie

Just digging through boxes and found out my wife is a convert. She had a HTC Aria on AT&T years back (previous to me being around). She clearly had no idea what to do with it. No additional apps loaded at all. 3 photos. I swear, this thing has to be the size of Palm's newly released companion phone. Last used in early 2012. Also found her iPhone 3Gs. Last used in 2013. A blast from the past for me, some painful memories for her as they included some texts from past relationships. Nostalgia at best. If she wants any pics or videos, we will get those backed up and then blank the devices.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  10. headcronie

Your history of devices, and your rooting the OS leads me to wonder how long this honeymoon might last. You appear to want to customize / get more out of your devices than what they originally offered. Just my observation. :)