Beta Versions of Tablet Only SoftMaker Office Available in Google Play (Free while in Beta)

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

In case anyone is curious. These are full versions of the programs. They are quite impressive. This beta is good until Nov 25, at which point there will either be an update of the beta (will remain free as long as in beta) or the release version will be made available. Have no idea of pricing, but this is a great opportunity of a free look if you are interested in a truly powerful Android tablet office suite (I assume, as now, each app will sell separately, which I prefer since I don't do PowerPointy things on a Tablet).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=softmaker.applications.textmaker.hdtrial

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=softmaker.applications.planmaker.hdtrial

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=softmaker.applications.presentations.hdtrial

Not a sales pitch. Even if you like them, not everyone needs to spend money on office apps. Just pointing out a chance to take a free tour of something cool and functional. :vbsmile:

Mi An, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Carlos_I

Carlos_I Newbie

Very useful tip, thank you.

I find the apps not only cool and functional, but even trailblazing. I have been waiting years for Office apps that let me work on my tablet as on my PC, and finally here they are. I'm working on my master thesis using TextMaker HD, and I couldn't be more pleased. The full range of features, a good user interface, and the data exchange with Microsoft Office is also excellent.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

While I've used TextMaker very little (for my meager use, I find DocsToGo to be adequate for creation/editing), PlanMaker is outstanding and is by far the best mobile spreadsheet app I've seen yet, even on a phone it's fine.

Welcome to Brighthand, Carlos_I!

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Thought I would give this a final update. The HD versions of the SoftMaker Office apps have been released. You can get a 30 day fully functional free trial of each. They are Tablet only (the old mobile versions work on phones). They cost $7.99 each. On the website they claim "License: You may use this software on up to three Android devices that are owned by you or family members of your household." which is very odd and they play store says nothing about this. While it is a reasonable idea, I'm not sure how it would be enforced without phoning home, which I don't like. That is, I don't think the Play Store itself has a mechanism for licensing limits.

The capabilities of these office apps are amazing and they are truly Business grade and no doubt that is where they are aiming. These have way more power than casual tablet users need. I suspect they are looking for corporate licenses in europe (they are a German company) for success.

The Mobile (as opposed to HD) versions of these apps are still feature rich and operate just fine on both tablets and phones. But for someone who really wants desktop power on a tablet with full MS Office compatibility, the HD versions of the SoftMaker Office Apps are hard to beat. I will buy Textmaker HD. I have no need for that much power with Spreadsheets and presentations on my Tablet.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Great stuff Hook, thanks. How does it determine what's a tablet? Where do phablets and such fall. Do they do it by screen resolution or just restrict it to specific models. I'm curious because I'm thinking of getting a phablet (I was hoping the rumored HTC M8 Max/Plus/Prime would have been out by now) and would like something like this on my phablet.

6. Hook

Actually, they don't make any such determination and it will show it as compatible with smartphones in the Play Store. They warn explicitly in the Play store description that it is for tablets only, however, and what that means is that it doesn't resize itself to smaller screens. I'm not sure where the line is --it might be an interaction of screen size and resolution-- but it is great on my Nexus 7 (2012) and terrible on my Nexus 5. You really just have to download the 30 day trial and see.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks. A lot of these newer phablets are getting tablet-like resolution; but the trial makes it easy to check. As it turns out, the HTC phablet may in fact be the specs for the M9 phone instead. Few seem to know.