Best Wifi Compact Flash Card for 548

Discussion in 'Jornada 520 and 540 series' started by loranthony, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loranthony

loranthony ONE!

Has anyone had sucess getting a wifi compact flash card to be recognized by the Jornada 548?? I just tried the linksys - downloaded the WinXP Pro driver and still the device would not recognize the card.

Anyone have any tips - or can suggest cards that have worked - I would greatly appreciate the asisst. Tried to search the board for the answer but could not find anything.

2. Veedubb

Veedubb Mobile Deity

Well, all I can tell you is that I have seen at least a dozen post on the same topic and all with the same results. None of them seem to work the first time. But after a couple cycles of uninstalling reinstalling resetting installing etc. most people seem to get Cf wifi cards to work. Just keep at it, and return it to the store for a different one if you have to.

3. kaynohtee

kaynohtee Newbie

Ok, so I go checking out wifi cards for my HP 548, but it seems that I have a type 1 card slot and all the wifi cards Im finding are type 2. Am I missing something? Obviously with todays retail climate and refund policies I dont really want to buy something to find out its non-compat. Any sugs out there?
    Thanks!

4. baggins_1

baggins_1 Guest

All is not lost. Symbol makes a type I, but if you can use a type II with an adapter. Here is the web site of the company who makes them:
    www.atek.com

I'm replying useing an HP548, SMC2642w typeI wifi with the Atek adapter. Works great, I surf, listen to MP3's over my network, etc.

Enjoy!

5. baggins_1

baggins_1 Guest

6. dafengo90

dafengo90 Dark Maestro

I havent gotten my cf card for my pda yet..... I just got my Jornada saturday. I was wondering, which cf cards are top of the line? And which ones work, because i dont want to buy a defective cf card. How do you install the cf card. Does it come with software? I dont know, and i was wondering if you could help me

7. whiteafrican

whiteafrican Mobile Deity

As far as I know, any Type I* CF card will work in a Jornada 520/540. I have a 16meg card for work and data, and a 256meg one for mp3s, games etc.

They do not require software; just slide them into the slot and enjoy. :D

There are lots of brands, mine are from integral (www.integralmemory.com) but that's just 'cos they're easily available in the UK....

For the purposes of mp3, it really isn't worth getting more than 256megs. 256megs is enough for around 6 hours of CD quality music, (when mp3 is converted to WMA format - you can get Windows Media Convertor free from microsoft and it will do this for you) which is around the limit for the Jornada's battery....

* be aware of the difference; Jornadas cannot read Type II, but aside from IBM's Microdrive, (a Type II card which contains disk-based storage of up to 1GB,) Type I seems to have all the advantages. You can use Type II cards, but they require an adaptor. Search Brighthand to find out more.

8. dafengo90

dafengo90 Dark Maestro

But... When you just put it in? Does it expand the memory right after? And then what happens if you transfer something from your computer to it? Does it go to the cf card? Or the storage?