best way to manually backup all files to PC-world from Android extCard?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Here's my problem:

trying to 'optimize' my use of microSDHC cards on phones & tablet, so my first step was to back them up to the PC (Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, SP1). 71 files didn't get backed up, because the length of the path + filename is too great for my PC to handle -- and to be honest, neither Linux nor anything Apple has to offer is an option for me. Anyone have any easy to implement suggestions?

pre-post EDIT: except for one file (these were all in the \Android\data\com.google.android.apps.books\files\volumes directory) the problem was resolved by doing the transfer to a 1-character folder on the PC. While I prefer descriptive folder names, I'll have to compromise in this case, it seems, and rely on a well-written description instead. Alternate suggestions welcome!

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Were you copying with the phone connected or with the SD card in a card reader? I've not run into this limitation, but I'm not entirely sure I've tested the same condition, so I'll have to run some tests at home.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. RickAgresta

card reader, much faster. the other thing I suppose I could do is put them in a zip file while still on the card & then transfer the zip, but suspect that would need to be done on the phone/tablet.

JessieRuiz likes this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Have you tried AirDroid? Web UI that lets you copy files from your system to your pc in a zip. Pretty simple to navigate. Not sure if this fits exactly what you are looking for, but thought I would suggest it.

John Farrel, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

Well, agreed I have tried using AirDroid a number of times to transfer my music files, and folder wirelessly from my device to Laptop ! So, I can bet on it that it's something that you can move forward !

6. Gbjjkty

Gbjjkty Newbie

Backup android data to the cloud.On your phone, go to Settings > Accounts & sync.Under account, and tick mark "Auto-sync data". Next, tap on Google. Sing into google account.You can get synced data to the cloud. This includes your contacts, photos (uploaded to Google+, privately if you want), app data, calendar events, Chrome tabs, your Google Fit data and more.Now go to Settings > Backup & Reset.Check Back up my data. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This does not have anything to do with backing up files to a local system. Sorry.

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Either Airdroid or a card reader is the way to go. I use Airdroid a lot because it's quick and easy, no need for cables or anything else, just a browser open. I no longer use SD cards that much, but I still have a card reader handy. I feel for you but I can't reach you about the name limitation and refusing to use anything but Windows. I would give up my firstborn grandchild before going back to Windows.

raspabalsa likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

Thanks Stan, but the thread is rather a non-issue for me at this point, a year later and all :vbwink: And hope your family stays intact <g>

jigwashere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.