Best way to install an app from my SD card

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I have a Centro that I use for everything at this point. My Tx with a 16 GB Sd card has become exclusively a music player with pTunes. I just upgraded to pTunes 5.0 on my Centro. I would like to upgrade my Tx as well. I know that you can install apps using the SD card (instead of hotsyncing). I am not sure what file to dump it in so I can then move it to my Tx and use it. I assume that I would use Filez to move it. I could experiment and figure it out, but it would be a lot easier if someone would just outline the process. Thanks.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

There are various ways to do this. I often email apps to myself to install them (Versamail is pretty good at some things).

MyInstall is probably the best choice: Re: Install programs to RAM

3. jgumphress

jgumphress Mobile Evangelist

With FileZ you can also beam apps between Palm devices.

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Copying to the card and then using Myinstall is definitely very easy. You'll need either a hardward SDHC compatible card reader or the Cardreader program (it handles the SDHC card just fine-- it claims there are several new drives and you just have to find the right one).

You'll, of course, need the zip file version of PTunes as the installer assumes installation via Hot Sync.

5. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been using card readers for years. That is how I put music, videos, and a variety of other data on my SD card. I have used Filez to beam simple apps between devices but never for an upgrade of an app. I never thought of emailing the app; that is a great suggestion. I think though that MyInstall seems like the cleanest way to do this. I did download it and was happy to see that it is free. Pruss creates some amazing apps. I read the readme file and the directions by wozofoz and I just want to make sure that I have this right. It looks like I just create a file on the SD card called MyInstall like I did for tcpmp and drop the AutoInstall app and the MyInstall app in that file. I assume that the MyInstall File does not need to be put in any of the other files currently residing on my SD card. Seems pretty simple.

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

ward.smith, almost the only way it does not work, is treating a Palm app like a document (i.e. a Word doc, or a music file). The point is, a Palm app needs an install procedure. And AFAIK, the only way to deny the app said procedure, is using it as a document. All the rest, it'll work. I have the appeal to hoard apps into SD cards that I can toss in the case, and whenever I need any I just look into them. Allows me to be away from the computer and keep my device in a flexible use. I used to have long install sessions with my computer until I started using MyInstall.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Alex Pruss's name and apps come up frequently. Does he have a central site for his Palm apps? Thanks.

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Not really, but there are four sites that will round up most of them.

Handy Stuff

Zlthemes

Pruss.mobi

1src Freeware

The last isn't all Pruss, but you'll find a lot of his stuff there.

If you know what you are looking for, you can generally find them at Freewarepalm or Palm Gear.

9. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Yes in the Root Directory

No Install the MyInstall app on your HandHeld.
    The AutoInstall app should go on the HandHeld as well.
    You do not have to install AutoInstall, it's only function is to automatically launch the MyInstall app every time a card is inserted. Personally, I don't like this idea so I never installed AutoInstall.

The MyInstall Directory (Folder) that you create must not be in any other Directory (Folder), if it is the MyInstall app will not be able to read it.
    It must be in the Root Directory alongside the PALM and DCIM Directories (Folders)

All the best, woz of oz

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

The whole point of MyInstall was to be able to install apps on my Tx which I do not ever sync because I only sync my Centro. What is the best way to get MyInstall on my Tx without syncing or having MyInstall to install it (Catch 22!)? Should I use Filez to beam from my Centro or just email it to myself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.