Best way to get a free AT&T Microcell (Femtocell)

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by tbessie, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

You complain about AT&T's Customer Support over there? Weird, up to some years ago AT&T had local presence here and it had the best of the best of the best Customer Support and Tech Support. Totally the other way around. Didn't offer mobile services, though, but that's not the point, it really had a superb attention system and policy. Couple of years ago, the company that use to wear the AT&T brand locally (Alestra), kinda switched allegiances, that done with no previous warning to the end user (as in me). It switched from AT&T... to AOL (yuck).

All of a sudden, all the excellent attention turned the other way around. Needless to say Alestra is not my ISP anymore, and I still have to solve a couple of issues with it, one regarding long distance calls service.

Back on topic, a local carrier (Iusacell) offers one kinda-femtocell thingy over here, but I've always thought there's something wrong in a business model where you already pay something for a given service, and next your supplier comes around and says "hey, expand my coverage and pay me for it"... say again? :confused:

2. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Whom are you addressing? I wasn't exactly "complaining" about AT&T support - just that (as you say) I'm not so happy to have to pay for something that should be part of their service already.

But I'm also realistic, and will grudgingly pay $150 for a "microcell".

The Tech Support guy swore up and down that at the end of this summer, AT&T San Francisco region should have 2 more towers in my area and better backend infrastructure. I'm not sure if I ought to wait, or buy a microcell.

- Tim

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Actually, I think the aliens, wandering around after crashing their signal-blocking spaceship into the yard, are actually mockingbirds. Lord knows those vile, evil things aren't of a normal earthly origin... :rolleyes:

While I agree with the ridiculousness of the concept of paying more to get an already paid service to work, I understand certain situations where outside influences affect wireless communication signals. I don't know what the situation is with this house - Perhaps something in the wiring or some such. The house was built in 1959, so who knows? Hook works in a building with no signal, and so do I. I'll occasionally get a very weak signal, but I typically have to go outside. It's a simple fact of life that not all wireless signals will premeate every inch of every place that every human might ever be. I'm not sure what the specific issue is here at this house, but it's "workable."

As for Customer Service, I have to say that I've had absolutely A1, Top-Notch service from AT&T. I've simply not had a chance to post about it, but this week I went in to check about changing from the grandfathered "Hybrid" PAYG plan I've been using since Cingular days. That plan is ending, so I've switched to a "purely AT&T" Go-Phone plan. Using my phone as little as I do, I've kept a Rollover balance of ~$500 each month, the maximum allowed by the old plan. That should have gone away with my change, per the terms of service. But with some reasonable explanation, an extremely patient and helpful (corporate) store manager, CS rep there, and two "higher-ups" which were called, my balance was moved over to my new Go-Phone account and will be used to renew each month until it's gone. Basically, I now have service for some months at no additional cost to me - My Go-Phone package will be auto-renewed each month out of my carryover balance.

So, for all of my commentary about the Vile, Evil Cell Phone Companies (I still think their rates are extortionistic,) I've never had anything but excellent CS from AT&T. I've rarely had issues, but anytime I've called 611 or gone into a store I've been very happy with their CS. Frankly, from my experience, lots of other companies could learn from them. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but that's been my experience since AT&T bought Cingular. :)

5. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I agree. I have always had great service from AT&T. They are the only US carrier that seems to get PAYG as a viable business and treat PAYG customers with respect and appreciation.

6. JRakes

I suppose one of the things that struck me the other day was the store manager commenting on how nice it was to have someone asking questions after having done some research, knowing what they really needed and wanted, what they didn't need or want, etc. She and the other lady looked Touchie over and tried it out, then said something along the lines of, "You really know how to shop smartly - It's such a pleasure to deal with Customers like you! You've found the device and plan that fits your needs, so there's definitely no reason for you to buy something else, or more than you need." Perhaps I (and others?) have become rather jaded, but I was taken aback by the lack of "selling" and the very positive, helpful attitudes. I consider myself to be a rather "demanding" Customer - I know what I want and that's what I intend to have. Apparently, sometimes, under certain circumstances, some companies / people actually appreciate and respect that. :)

7. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

So you didn't notice them picking your pockets and taping that "kick me" sign on your back as you walked out the door. ;)

Honestly, that's exactlly what I get from AT&T. I've gone to them several times when researching my Gophone thread. In fact, when I went through the exploration of could I pay full price for an AT&T branded smartphone and then use it as a gophone (no), they were the ones laughing and shaking their heads at the absurdity that AT&T would have me go give someone else my smartphone money and *then* they would let me use it as a gophone.

So this seems to be more than one isolated store. They seem to appreciate us dedicated Gophone people.

8. JRakes

I made a comment the previous time I was there (when I had to get a new SIM to replace my aging Cingular SIM so my MMS would work) about my appreciation for how much time that lady spent with me, even though I was a PAYG Customer. Her reply: "Hey, you're a Customer, too, and we appreciate your business." Sure, that's likely a "canned response," of sorts. But in my experience, they demonstrate it.

I'm certainly not an AT&T fan-boy (I'd jump to another carrier in a heartbeat if someone else had a better deal for me with equal or better service around here,) but I've had much worse CS for much larger, more important business dealings.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I think a lot depends on who you get, and perhaps your 'record' if they look you up on the computer.

It is pretty amazing that ATT has a good PAYG plan; but seems intent on nickel-and-diming their big-ticket users (like iPhone users).

10. JRakes

That's how a lot of them become big-ticket users - They stroll in looking for the latest-greatest cool toy saying, "I want it all!" They don't stop for 2.7 seconds to consider what they truly need and, from what I've seen, most don't know the difference between a need and a want. While I think the rates are ridiculously high in general, I don't have much sympathy for uninformed or empty-headed buyers (of anything.) It might not be entirely "ethical" on the part of companies to take advantage in some situations but, OTOH, that's the price the buyer pays for living from trend to trend and not thinking for themselves. If somebody doesn't like the "deal," they have the option of walking away. Many simply choose not to.