Best way to get a free AT&T Microcell (Femtocell)

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by tbessie, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Hey all...

My next door neighbor just got one of those AT&T Microcell devices. Since I've lived in this neighborhood for 5 years and NEVER have been able to get a signal in my home (and rarely anywhere NEAR my home), even though I'm in the center of a major city (San Francisco), do you think I might be able to convince someone at AT&T to give me a free Microcell.

Any suggestions on how to go about it?

- Tim

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Did your neighbor get it free? If so, how did he or she do it?

3. tbessie

They got it free by complaining about how they couldn't get any service in their apartment, even though we're in a major city, they used it right next to the window, etc.etc.

- Tim

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Sounds like "how to" to me. :D

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

:D :D :D

<And what would we expect from somebody that rides under the Jolly Roger?>

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hmmm... Interesting thing, Tim. I have great coverage and signal in this area with one small exception: At my house. (I've long suggested there's a spaceship buried in the yard somewhere, since NO wireless device, of any type, has a good signal range here, from phones to garage remotes to vehicle remotes to...) I have a coworker with a similar apartment situation - Virtually no signal when he's indoors (which led to a near soap-opera debacle at workie just yesterday.)

Perhaps he and I should pursue this!

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Joe, don't you hate it when you do something as odd as walking from one room to another and it seems you walked into a bank vault? As an engineer, I was educated to understand that radio signals diminish coverage in a gradual pattern. But sometimes reality tells me otherwise. Just as in your place, it happens at my mom's. Signal is excellent in the living room, and terrible in the kitchen (just a wall in between, effective measurements were done about two meters away one from the other, just with the wall in between both).
    :D :D :D

8. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Sometimes all I have to do is turn my head (when talking on the phone) and the signal drops. And it's not just my phone or my carrier - Everyone who comes here says their signal drops when they arrive, regardless of phone or carrier. The remotes for the garage door have a pathetic range and sometimes don't work at all, including the OE opener remotes, built-in car remote, whatever. Same with my cars' lock remotes - I have to get nearly to the car sometimes for them to work. In other locations I have great range to lock or unlock the car, but not at home... I even have a high-gain antenna on my wireless router, but the range is still not good. A Class-1 Bluetooth card in Lappie only gets me about a 6 ft range. It's really weird. Hence my thought that some alien interceptor is buried in the yard - "The Force (field) is with me, it seems." *SIGH* :D

9. tbessie

Sorry, JRakes - the radioactive aliens will not allow you to get a good signal.
    It would interfere with their Evil Plans.

Anyway, I called AT&T (talked with both Customer Support and Technical Support). The Customer Support guy didn't know much about the devices, and although the Tech Support guy seemed VERY well informed and well-spoken, he said that it was official AT&T policy not to give any of those away for free. He also claimed to have communicated with some kind of upper management that he felt there should be some cases where they give them away, but that it hadn't come to anything.

So either this guy is just a REALLY great technical support guy, or he's bound for the Senate. ;-)

- Tim

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.