Best smartphone for music

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by aks123, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aks123

aks123 Newbie

Hey people,
    I am new to this forum but went through some threads and found them helpful so thot of posting my question in here too.
    I am an international grad student in washington and currently I am using a very basic nokia fone.
    I want to get a contract based cellphone. Price is little bit issue for me I dunn wanna spend a lot every month on the service.
    I talk a lot on phone and need a phone which could play music and videos dats my utmost priority. And I also need a camera in my fone :cool:
    I would appreciate if you could suggest something.
    Thanks a lot

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Welcome to Brighthand, aks123. For cheapness of service, I would suggest either T-Mobile or a Sprint SERO plan. T-Mobile has the advantage that you'd be able to use the phone you got both here and back home, since the service is GSM based. However, Sprint would probably provide you with more advanced service, including high-speed internet for a very reasonable price.

The lowest tier of T-Mobile service would be $40 per month for 300 peak minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. You could get slow, basic internet for an additional $6 per month if you wanted.

Sprint SERO starts at $30 for 500 minutes per month, and that includes high-speed internet, unlimited nights and weekends, etcetera. Plus unlimited text messaging with new plans until February 16th.

Of course, you'd only be able to use your Sprint phone on Sprint, and you'd give up the advantages of GSM, but for the price to performance difference, I'd say go with SERO and get yourself either an HTC Touch, a Motorola Q9, or a Centro.

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

The N95 8GGB and N81 8GB are probably best for what you are looking for in terms of something that can work. Getting a SIM contract and a pre-pay would be an easy way to save funds and hav ea very capable set of devices. And considering you are already a Nokia user, there's not too much a learning curve involved.

4. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Hands down, Sony W960. The best sounding walkman phones out there. This one has 8gig memory, touchscreen, quickoffice, 3.2meg cam, wifi, 16mm thick.

If my treo 680 dies for some reason, I'd probably get this over the centro.

5. Antoine Wright

The N81 8GB is fair competition to this, but I'd agree as the W960i as being a great choice.

6. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Yeah, that's another feature-packed phone but I don't like not having a touchscreen. It really makes navigating around much easier. Plus, a touchscreen gives us more input options. It's really cumbersome to have to type emails with an alpha-numeric keypad - even with t9.

Otherwise, though the N81 is awesome. My friends use an N95, which I believe is quite similar, and they literally have everything at their fingertips.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95_8gb-review-188.php

Another plus for nokia is that this phone has a standard 3.5 headphone socket, whereas the sony ericsson makes you use the adapter that comes with the phone.

7. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Incidentally, the Iphone would've been a natural shoo-in but it doesn't give you that many options for text input - try writing a message via touchscreen only while you're in a car. And it doesn't have as many available applications as palm, symbian or even windows.

For music, though, well it's an ipod. Few can give you a music oriented interface as intuitive as an ipod.

8. aks123

aks123 Newbie

Thanks everyone for ur replies :)

I would be going with T mobile as my bro wld add me on his line and he has t mobile.
    Has W960i launched in US yet? i could not find it anywhere :(?

9. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Now, that I don't know.

10. Antoine Wright

The W860i is only available through a distributor such as Mobile Planet, Wireless Imports, etc. Carriers tend not to carry all of the really cool phones ;)

11. Sorin

Sorin Mobile Enthusiast

I agree, N81 8GB is the best for music. That's why I bought it, and I bought it here in Bangkok, Thailand, after a lot of research. But, after just two days, I have a problem, and two questions: 1. How can I delete the pre-loaded crap of Thai pop garbage? (Or do I have to live with it?) 2. Can I really transfer .WAV format files to my phone? How?
    I have chosen this particular model for these two particular qualities: to have MY own music in it, and to have it at the highest possible level, that is, WAV.
    Thanks, Sorin

12. zap2

zap2 Apple User

Best Music Phone is the iPhone

Period

13. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

The only argument I have with iPhone for music is that it's limited to 8gb, while with a SP with a card slot you can theoretically have an infinite ammount... Otehrwise, as long as you dont plan on doing any serious typing or need 3rd party apps, then for media/music iPhone was designed from the ground up for multimedia (heck it's the only mobile device that can play youtube!)

14. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Others can play youtube but not as well ;-).

Agreed if you don't need the heavy PIM stuff, the iPhone is the way to go. If you are stuck on T-Mobile, doesn't nokia have their Xpress music line available on T-Mo? I feel like those got decent reviews...

15. zap2

zap2 Apple User

Well its limited to 16Gb...and 3rd party apps are coming real soon...but media=iPhone strong point.

16. Ashton

TELL ME!!!

lol. or do you mean using the download + play with TCPMP? That's waht I have to do - search youtube - download video with videodownloadx - play with TCPMP (and this does not work well on-the-fly with a PPC and cellular internet...)

17. Adama D. Brown

I haven't used it myself, but I know there's a plugin for TCPMP that somebody developed. Not familiar with it, but I got the impression that it works on similar principles to the download-and-view setup you describe, except that the whole process happens on the device. I could be wrong, though.

18. Ashton

That plugin is how I do my download-and-view. The newest flash plugin for PPC doesnt work... I've gone to a dozen flash sites... guess waht I saw? FLASH adverts! nothing else worked! No movies, no games, no interfaces... only the @#&*$#!^ adverts!!!

19. Adama D. Brown

Ah. Well, Flash Lite 3 is supposed to support YouTube, but it's not available on Windows Mobile yet. Other than that, I'm not aware of any full solutions.