Best PDA with Camera?

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by darambo, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darambo

darambo Mobile Enthusiast

I go out in the field and take daytime pictures of houses as part of my livelihood. Big shots, nothing fancy. May need to hold several in storage. (a few dozen or so)

Do any of the PDA's do this easily? The resolution does not have to be great. I have an older, non bluetooth or firewire computer. How would I get the pictures from the PDA into the cpu?

What is your choice on a budget? Not on a budget? Are these easy to use?

Thanks!

Rambo

2. imported_Surfer

imported_Surfer Guest

you might take a look at the viewsonic v36 or v37 . don't remember wich on it is but on of those two have a camera.

3. ripburn

ripburn Mobile Enthusiast

It's the V36

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

5. JK27

JK27 Mobile Deity

As for getting those pics onto your PC ... you can move those picture files over to your PC via ActiveSync (for PocketPC). OR, if you store the pics onto a CF or SD storage card, you can take out the storage card and insert it into a CF/SD reader which is connected to your PC, and just copy them over that way.

Also, be aware that there are add-on cameras (SD or CF) that you can purchase and add to your Pocket PC.

Like this ... http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/..._code=FA185A#ABA&cat_level=2&browse_link=true

$129, 1.3 megapixels

Attached Files:

6. Omnitron

Omnitron Mobile Evangelist

I've been happy with the UX50... I just started doing a photo blog - Check it out for some UX50 shots...

7. darambo

darambo Mobile Enthusiast

Wow - great ideas, thanks. I really liked the UX50 photo log, bow-wow.

I wish that new windows pda/camera unit had better reviews, but it's kinda rough out of the box. The Zire looks like a price leader, but I am so PC illerate, that I am a bit shy about the palm platform since I use a windows PC (yeah, I know they are supposed to be simple, maybe Palm's even better for PDA's for all I know).

Wow - the IPAQ camera is interesting, mainly because I hear so many grreat things about their 2215's, 1945's and 4400 series. But it looks a bit large, and do you have to charge it seperately?

One reason I'd like a combo is because of all the things I charge up - the phone, the camera, (soon) a pda, the lockbox to access houses - it's a mess to keep up with.

Sure would be great if there was a useable phone/pda/camera that was reliable, easy, and small enough, yet held a decent charge. How's that for a wish list?

Hey - don't laugh, I really don't know this answer. CAn you charge your PDA's through the car charger? like the phone? I have a splitter, and it would save a few steps.

Thanks!

8. imported_dementedlemur

imported_dementedlemur Mobile Evangelist

The viewsonic v36 has a built in camera and is only $200 after $100 manufacturers mail in rebate at compusa.

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

You said you were nervous about using a Palm OS model, but you might consider the Treo 600:
    www.brighthand.com/article/Treo_600_Coming_to_Four_Carriers

Depending on how long you are willing to wait, Motorola is rumored to be working on a smart phone with a built-in camera that runs Windows Mobile:
    www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Strong_Evidence_of_MPx220_Found

10. imported_UFG

imported_UFG Mobile Enthusiast

I've tried every single PDA w/ camera, and I have to say that my favorite is the Sony Clie NX80V. Awesome 1.3megapixel camera, and it's actually quite slim (I carry it in my front jeans pocket). The Viewsonic V36 feels VERY cheap, and the pictures are average. The Zire71's camera is pretty good, but the unit itself is old and pretty much outdated. The UX50 camera is okay, but nothing to write home about.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy one of those cheesy SDIO cameras. Not only are they terribly inconvenient, if you have a case for your PDA, you'll have to remove it and put it in quite often, which gets to be a major hassle. That, and I really don't feel secure with anything sticking out of my SD card slot, but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.