Best Palm with AAA batteries and more... Please read it

Discussion in 'Palm' started by sebastiantorres, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastiantorres

sebastiantorres Mobile Enthusiast

Hi everybody, I'm new on this Forum and have some questions for you:

1- I wonder what is the best Palm model using AAA batteries...

I needed a Palm to read e-books and to use it during my classes, so I recently bought a Palm Zire 72, which is an excellent device by the way. The major problem I found out was the energy supply; my Z72 ran out of batteries very quickly and as a matter of fact I couldn't spend a whole class with the device open because the indicator went to zero. So I bought an old Palm m125 which as all you know, runs by AAA batteries. It's great because the batteries last much longer and not only a few hours like my newer and more advanced device (Z72).

I think I have one of the best Palms because the m125 has an expansion card (I have a 512 MB SD card) and runs by AAA batteries. But: is there any other model which uses AAA batteries and somehow is more advanced/convenient than the m125?

2- As I bought the m125 as a second hand item on ebay, I soon found out that the cradle didn't work so I cannot synchronize with the PC. I managed to send the programs and applications from my Z72 to my m125 via IR and then save those apps in my memory card, so when I change the AAA batteries I'll have a quick way to set the apps again into my m125. As I cannot Hotsync with the computer, obviously I cannot install Documents To Go in the m125, so the second question is: Is there any program similar to Documents To Go that I can download and beam it to my m125? I need some editing software for my classes in the university. I'm currently using CardTXT which allows me to edit and create new archives in .txt format and save them to the card, but I'd like something better looking and with more choices, similar to Docs To Go.

I would like to hear your thoughts about those questions.

Thank you!

Sebastian Torres
    Venezuela

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I still have my old Palm IIIxe around. Monochrome display, no card slot, but AAA batteries.

Welcome to Brighthand, sebastiantorres.

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hola Sebastian, bienvenido a Brighthand, saludos desde Ecuador!
    (Hello Sebastian, welcome to Brighthand, greetings from Ecuador!)

Can't you just recharge the Zire72 during your classes? It's true that older palms with AA or AAA batteries last much longer with one set of batteries than more modern units with rechargeable internal batteries, but the point is that you can recharge them as often as you want (and avoid the cost of buying AAA cells when needed).

I'm not sure what is the expected run time of a Zire72 before it needs to be recharged, but if yours is not giving you an adequate time, try recalibrating the charging circuits. To do this, connect your palm to the charger, then press the soft reset button, and leave your palm in the charger, untouched, for 3 hours. This procedure recalibrates the charger and may improve the battery life.

Also, there is an excellent program called FullPower which lets you change the voltage threshold at which your palm will shutdown due to low battery. Palms have a default threshold of about 3.8 V. Will FullPower, the threshold can be set to 3.6V or 3.5V (this is about the lowest safe threshold). This seemingly small change will give you maybe up to 30% more battery time.

Ok, so if after trying these suggestions you still find your Z72 unsatisfactory, then I can't suggest another AA or AAA powered model, because I have no experience with them (all my palms have used internal rechargeable batteries).

Some suggestions: you really should look for a solution to be able to hotysnc, maybe buy another cradle or a travel cable. You need to do at least one hotsync to to set the hotsync name on your palm.
    Then you will be able to transfer word and excel files to your palm (should be very handy since you're at school) using DocsToGo.

If you don't want to get a USB cable or cradle, then the best option to transfer files to the palm is using a card reader. These are pretty cheap, under $20. Then you can copy programs and files to the SD card using the reader, then insert the card on the palm and copy the files to the palm. You will need a file manager to be able to copy files between palm and SD card. Filez is an excellent free file manager.

Also, get a backup to card program. These programs make a full backup of your palm's RAM contents to the SD card, so if your palm loses its info while changing batteries you can restore quickly from the SD card with just a few taps, instead of having to manually copy the programs across. There are many backup programs, I think most of them will work fine on both the Z72 and m125. Here are some: BackupBuddyVFS, RescoBackup, Backupman. You should try some of them thoroughly, meaning that you must do a manual hard reset to verify that the restore works properly. Otherwise you may end having an unwanted hard reset, only to find that the backup program does not properly work.

A final note: a m125 should be able to keep the info during one minute after you remove the batteries. If your m125 does not keep the info, then the backup capacitor inside has become damaged. This is not harmful to the palm, only means that your info is wiped instantly as soon as you remove the batteries. This is a common failure on some m-series palms. Try running a search on this forum (use keyword capacitor), you will find some threads with tips and options to repair this failure.

Hope this helps, let us know if youhave more questions.

EDIT: I just noticed you also posted to the PDAs sub-forum. Please avoid double posting, this will only cause confusion because some members will reply to one thread, some to the other, etc. And here most threads are promptly answered, regardless of what forum they were posted to. If possible, delete the thread on the PDAs forum. :)

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, sebastiantorres. :)

Here is a History of Palm Devices, courtesy of one of our more industrious members. :) AFAIK, after m125 came m130, which was my first device. It has rechargeable battery, from wall or thru powered cradle. I don't think disposable batteries have been used since.

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

lelisa, could you please merge this thread with this one ? Both are same question by same author.

6. lelisa13p

Regarding the cross-post, I have merged the two threads, since I just replied to the other post. :)

7. sebastiantorres

Thank you very much! You've been very kind in taking some time to answer my questions. I'll download the programs mentioned above and later I'll let you know how it turned out.

Regarding to the Hotsync problem, I was thinking about buying an IR USB connector which is cheaper than a cradle or a cable to synchronize my m125. Is it a good idea?

I can charge my Z72 while I'm in class, but sometimes the seats near the electric connection are already taken and besides that I don't want to carry that much gadgetery with me when I go out, it's enough with my palm, my ThinkOutside IR keyboard and a couple of new AAA bateries (just in case) all together inside my waistbag.

Since I changed to technology and got rid of the traditional pad and pen I've felt much better, I'm in the Law School so I usually had to carry all those heavy books and codes (sorry, I don't know technical english related to Law). That was a pain in the a** because of all the weight I had with me. It went over since I have my Palm, I have all the university books in my 512 Mb card, plus lots of non-study related e-books. I said good-bye to the bulky backpacks and now my hands are free and not carrying anymore books...

Sebastian

8. sebastiantorres

Sorry, I don't know how to erase the other post. The double posting was made by mistake.

Sebastian

9. lelisa13p

No worries; I combined the two threads and this single thread is the result. :)

10. sebastiantorres

Thanks!

Well, I took a look at the History Map of Palms and could see that the m125 was the last model using AAA batteries, so this is as good as it gets to me because my main concern was the battery life in my Palm.

Thanks again, soon you'll hear about me because I have some more questions.

Sebastian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.