Best FM Transmitter for TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by theodo155, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theodo155

theodo155 Newbie

I spend all my time in my car. I would like to be able to listen to my mp3's through my car stereo. Does any one have a wireless fm transmitter that they really like? I use Mocean for music and think that program is great.

Thanks,

theodo155

2. dbarshain

dbarshain Mobile Evangelist

I've been looking into adding an auxilliary jack to my car stereo. Seems like the adapter fits into the CD changer on the back of the stereo and allows direct feed into the stereo. The sound quality is supposed to be better. I've priced it at Circuit City and it would probably cost $150. I might be able to do the work myself and save about 1/2 of the cost but I need to be brave enough to take the stereo out of the dash.

3. TMPOOLE

TMPOOLE Mobile Enthusiast

Belkin makes one that works well. I use one by RCA that plugs into the lighter and plugs into my .mp3 player. As cheap as mp3's are, I just leave in the car. Works great in my area.

In a city with lots of radio stations, Belkin's digital tuning would probably work better.

4. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

5. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

i use a griffin transmitter that plugs into my iPod, and included software created a playlist of radio frequencies on the iPod for the case that tmpoole refers too.

i wonder if griffin makes something for the TX, ... got it, Griffin Universal FM Transmitter wow the price is high $50!

EDIT: welcome to BH theo!

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand, Theo!

Another option is amplified external speakers connected to the TX. I would prefer going through the car stereo, too, but a friend uses external speakers, instead, and is happy with it.

7. gizmogeezer

gizmogeezer Mobile Deity

I bought my transmitter in a Walgreens drug store for about $30 and I'm willing to bet that it works just as well as one costing much more. The problem with all these transmitters is that they play on a spot on your FM dial that does not have a station. When you do a lot of traveling you will probably go into an area that uses this channel and then you have to make a frequency change on the transmitter. On a long trip it is a pain.

As far as Jigwasheres suggestion of external speakers, I bought a folding pair from radio shack #40-1441 that does a great job and the price was either $20 or $30 dollars.

Ken the gizmogeezer

8. MrJohnBravo

MrJohnBravo Beef Jerky Tester

I gotta jump in on this one. Mostly I just lurk and read but with all these high priced answers to this question I thought my experience here might be helpful.

about 2 months ago... just before christmas... I bought the VR3 fm transmitter from walmart. it cost a whole $10 bucks. Its a bit limited on your station selection but I have yet to find a place here in South and central florida that I can't find an open frequency for it. As long as I keep it relatively close to my radio (within say 10 inches) its works fantastic. Plugs into the tx with a standard headphone plug. I have probably put 50 or 60 hours on the thing so far and haven't had to change batteries yet. so FWIW if your looking for a useable and CHEAP solution I recommend this one.

Again its call the VR3 made by Virtual Reality Sound Labs. you can find it http://www.roadmasterusa.com/fmmod_vr3.php for 10.99. Its the one on the bottom.

9. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Belkin. I got one of the cheap $20 it works great. Takes about 5 seconds to pick up signal.

10. spice3d

spice3d Newbie

The best I've found is the DLO TransDock Micro. I live in LA and the FM spectrum is full--no open stations. As such, you need a transmitter that can stomp over a broadcasted station. The TransDock does that. Although it looks like it is made for the iPod, there is a stereo mini jack at the bottom you can connect the TX to--you'll need a male-to-male stereo mini cable (cheap on ebay). Also, the iPod cable can be disconnected and there is a standard USB connector on the top. I haven't tried it, but I'm assuming you could charge your TX using it.

I got mine for 30% off at a closing compusa.

Here's a link to a round-up that tested 30 of them! http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/09/fmtransmitters/index.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.