Best extended warranty?

Discussion in 'e800 series' started by Kathy_Harris, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy_Harris

Kathy_Harris Senior Member

I'm seriously considering the 805 but because of its issues, would only get one with a good warranty.

Does anyone have suggestions of a warranty that would allow instant trade in or cross shipment like the ipaq 2 year warranty?

2. Mike Cane

Mike Cane Mobile Deity

I'm glad this subject has come up.

There have been rumors that CompUSA has changed their TAP.

Is this so, and what are the changes?

If their TAP is no longer as liberal as before, why should I buy there and not somewhere else (ie, DataVision [yikes!] or J&R)?

3. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Mobile Deity

I have stayed with the Best Buy warranty because they are nation wide and in just about EVERY major US City.

I travel nation wide in the USA and need the warranty. The $70 I paid for two years is nothing in the frustration level of my device failing and me having to replace it with another $599 device.

I have used the warranty many times with my Palm V, My Palm M505, and My Jornada 568. They have always come through and either gave me another unit or my money towards another device.

No, I didn't take it in because of minor issues, so I can't tell you how they will respond. But when your PDA doesn't work and you have the warranty, they are Johnny on the spot.

There can be a whole threed on how someone got screwed here or there, but if you need the insurance, I say Best Buy. I don't have a CompUSA here in Green Bay, so I don't buy major purchases from them.

4. Mike Cane

Mike Cane Mobile Deity

What sort of things did you bring it in for?

The CUSA TAP used to -- does it still? -- cover accidental breakage of the screen. No other store offers this. Other stores make a point of saying they *won't* cover such breakage!

5. SacredCow

SacredCow Mobile Deity

I'm 99% certain Best Buy mentioned that the screen breakage was in fact covered.

Heck, I overheard one sales person tellilng a customer that the fact that it becomes obsolete is worth getting the warranty to always stay current. heh

Anyway, I've also had no troubles with BestBuy.

now I just have to keep remembering to try and get all the damn accessories pulled into the ext. warr. so I'm not stuck with all this extra stuff I can't use.

Anyone need an e740 exp pack?
    Screen Overlays?
    USB Power/Synch Cable?

On a side note, Kathy_Harris of Corvallis, OR, ever stop in or get flowers from Stargazers Premier Florist (stargazerflorist.com) there in town? If not, tell Calvin to get on the ball and stop in and say hi to Kay Dee, there a client. :)

Enjoy!

-S
    Hartville, OH

PS With Best Buy (don't know if this was clear), I can basically walk in with the dead unit and swap it for the same unit OR for another unit of equal or lesser value OR put the money towards a better unit. I did the ladder with my upgrade to this e805. I also renewed the warranty at that time.

6. Kathy_Harris

Kathy_Harris Senior Member

I went into my local CompUSA to ask about my warranty from January. Apparently they will honor the terms and conditions. The guy said they would work with me to replace my 1910 (I said the 1935/45 was not appropriate due to the yellow screen).

I don't believe the coverage is the same any longer at CompUSA :( It seems you now have to bring in the unit and they will ship it off to get it repaired (If I remember correctly).

CompUSA does cover screen breakage but for some reason does not cover abuse or accidents to the back of the unit??

SacredCow - I've never been to Stargazers. We do have a SacredCow Tatoo parlor in town ;) BTW, Calvin is my 7 year old son - I could probably get him to say "hi" to your client (he, he)...

7. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Mobile Deity

My screen on my Jornada 568 shattered when I dropped it and they (Best Buy) obviously didn't cover that, which I completely understand because it was negligence on my part.

I had another year on my warranty and was having problems thinking of the upgrade path and wham....

So I bit the bullet and bought the Toshiba. (which IS the best conversion for someone with a Jornada 568) I'm not looking back.

Customers that have a contract deserve the best that they (anyone) have to offer, but negligence is not covered under anyones policy.

My 2 Cents...

8. Mike Cane

Mike Cane Mobile Deity

Negligence how? What if the damned PDA has a slick casing -- like the e800 does! -- and it slides out of your hand and the screen breaks?

Don't mistake *neglect* for *accident*. There is a difference.

9. Qoheleth

Qoheleth Senile Member

I've been a fan of the CompUSA TAP for years now. At that time I had one unit that I'd bought at BestBuy and one at CompUSA. They both, under different circumstances suffered screen damage. CompUSA gladly traded it out. (Actually traded it up. You essentially get a store credit for the amount of purchase on a similar, but not necessarily identical, device.) BestBuy hemmed, hawed, and hedged, eventually pointing out that screen damage was not listed in the extended warranty. (Odd, because I can remember an employee mentioning just that contingency.)

Things may well have changed. It's a good idea to both ask and make sure you get it in writing. Screen damage is the most costly thing that can happen so you'll want to be sure it's covered.

I've also heard that, when it comes to CompUSA, the way they honor the policy seems to vary, based on the store manager. In Indianapolis, they've instituted a mandatory check by the service department to determine that the unit is indeed broken, but are very quick to replace it after that.

10. Mike Cane

Mike Cane Mobile Deity

Hmmm... on negligence vs accident.

I've read many posts of people putting their PDAs in their front or back pants pockets. One fellow wound up *sitting* on his PDA that way. To me, that is clearly negligence.

If it slips from my hand, that is accident. It is meant to be in the hand. People who put it in their pants' pockets are just asking for trouble...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.