Beeper to Locate Mislaid PDA's?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by rlaurio, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlaurio

rlaurio TX Enthusiast

I love having a PDA because everything is in one place - calendar, addresses, notes, shopping lists, kids' schoolwork, my books. But when the PDA gets misplaced, that means that everything is lost. Is there some kind of device small enough to use on a PDA to help "find" it when it gets mislaid? Maybe something like a beeper?

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Once upon a time, there used to be key rings that would respond to your whistling, or hand clapping. Maybe you could find one of those, and attach it to your PDA case.

I do know that feeling though. You know that your life is organized within this device, but yet you cannot find it, and thus, you are completely disorganized, and now reckless as you turn the house upside down in pursuit of your digital brain.

4. rlaurio

rlaurio TX Enthusiast

The Smarter Image one looks like a great concept, but the reviews don't seem very positive. There are some toddler trackers from "Giggle Bug" that look interesting and a lot cheaper, but there are no reviews for those yet. And they might emit a sound alarming and loud enough to summon the police to help find my PDA!

"key rings that would respond to your whistling, or hand clapping."

I haven't found any of those yet at amazon.com.

5. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

They definitely still make these. I saw one of them the other day in a drug store.

Another option is to upgrade to a smartphone. You can always call yourself and follow the ringing sound. :D

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Another option, which would offer additional security while out and about, would be to get a proximity alarm. Any time your PDA with attached transmitter is 15 to 20 feet away from the receiver, an alarm sounds. The transmitter is only 1-3/4" x 1-1/2" x 3/16".

8. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Ooooh ... I like. Well, it looks kinda stupid (like a bad prop from ancient sci-fi) ... but I'm sure the "locator" part that actually stays with the "lost" object can be dismantled and stuffed into the PDA. Perhaps it can even be wired directly to the PDA battery and speaker (it's probably a circuit the size of a penny, at most).

But another tought (since you can always lose the "finder" remote control thing, and be screwed again):

Can Bluetooth devices be set to wake-up a PDA, then run a simple noise-making/alarm applet?

9. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

If you notice their marketing picture showing all the different uses you can make of this device, in only one case is the dongle actually attached to the item.

Seems that even their marketing department can't figure out how to effectively use these things.

10. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Maybe they lost the docs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.