Be3G! How's that PPC?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shinno, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Noticed in a few threads that you've switched over to the dark side.

I'm curious too, after eyeballing the HP 2215... so how has the tranisition been? Pros? Cons?

I'd really like to hear your input :)

2. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Hmmm.... too much to say, so I'll just say....

Wait and see. ;)

Thomas

3. lexxonnet

lexxonnet 3rd of 8, unimatrix 0

hey... been a while since I posted here... been busy lately... ao are you using the T|T by default or the PPC now? :)

4. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

I don't actually have the T|T now, just the 2210. I figured I'd learn PPC better if I didn't always have my old Palm to go back to when I got a bit annoyed with PPC.

Thomas

5. Perry Gonzalez

Perry Gonzalez Founder's Site Member

Well Be3G...you made a very bold [and expensive] move, and I applaud your daring. But after thinking about your maneuver perhaps You Not So Clazy! The way I see it in my little mind is this...In order to accurately and honestly make the statement "PALM OS IS BEST"...[wow! that's pretty neat] one must make a complete jump to the other side of the fence WITHOUT looking back! I now can USE your "experiment" [I'm sorry if you feel like a guinea pig] and your journal, [you are keeping one right?], to shape my viewpoint on Palm vs PPC.......................................[excuse me but I had to go wash my mind. Happens every time I say PP...oops, almost wrote it again.] Anyways, I salute you and support your foray into the "Other Side of The Fence". Be careful and look for the candle I hold out for your return.

6. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Hehe thanks Perry. :) As you correctly state, it is impossible to say "x is the best", and justify your argument, when you haven't tried "y" and "z".

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I plan on writing two articles in the near future: A review of the HP iPaq 2210, and...

[size=large]Palm OS vs. Pocket PC:[/size]
    An unbiased view from a previous Palm owner.

Thomas

7. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Awesome. Keep us updated on your review's progress... really looking forward to it!!!

8. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Thanks! They should both be out within the next couple of weeks. :)

Thomas

9. Larken

Larken Mobile Evangelist

I've said it before in other forums and I will say it again: I think the only thing that Pocket PC excels in over Palm is video. With the new Windows Media Encoder, video conversion is a simple as clicking a few buttons and waiting a while. While their video is excellent, as a user, I don't like having Microsoft's proprietary format (.wmv) shoved down my throat. I would like to have the option of playing .mpg or DivX on the unit without having to find third party software to do it.

I still take issue with the fact that programs don't close when you wish them to close without a third party program. I would guess that to be one of the number one gripes of both the user and the people who support them in corporate environments. Multitasking on a handheld for any program besides a music player is ludicrous.

Besides that, I've had a number of lock ups and just periodic instability that I've had with just about every other Pocket PC that I've owned. Also, as it customary, the alarms are still unreliable.

On the positive side, I do enjoy the dual expansion slots on the 2210. My wife's camera takes a CompactFlash card, and I can put that right into my 2210 and view the pictures that have been taken. It also has a great display for reading books. I'm also very impressed with the battery life on this unit. That's always been one of my big gripes with PPC.

As it stands now, I'm looking to sell this unit that I've had for about four days to pick up a Palm Tungsten T2. I'm selling it for $350 for the unit, craddle, software and a 32MB CF card. Let me know if anyone is interested.

10. palmfetish

palmfetish Mobile Deity

Be3G:
    how easy was it to transfer your databases (built-in apps and others)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.