BB Q10 first impressions

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by rkevwill, Jul 5, 2013.

1. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Received my Q10 today, and have spent some time setting it up. Seeing as how I am pretty much imbedded in the iCloud infrastructure, thats the first thing I tackled. My mail and contacts synced flawlessly with iCloud. My iCal is problematical at present. I have been reviewing the different forums, and help postings, but so far thats not working yet.

The keyboard is wonderful. The size of the Q10 may be too small for those used to the 4 inch and larger users. To give one an idea, its about the same width as my iPhone 5 (a touch wider) and the whole device is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. It is super thin, and feels great in the hand with its slightly rubberized back. Feels basically the same as the 9930 I had for a short time. Personally, I think I preferred the thicker 9650 I used for a couple years, as it was not as light, and beefier. Nonetheless, this is a sweet device.

One of the major concerns I had, was the lack of the little trackpad. Whatever one says about that, the fact is, it was so easy to insert a cursor in emails and text, and correct. BB has done a wonderful job in replacing this. When you touch a spot to insert the cursor, a little circle comes up and the cursor is placed within that circle. If its not in your exact preferred place, its simple to move it over. Very intuitive, and the execution is amazing (and very quick).

I have already deleted my UNfavorite apps, like Twitter, and Facebook. One of my favorite apps I use daily, is Splash ID. Used it on Palm, on my old BB's, and use it on my iPhone. Always synced it with my mac. So far, have not seen it for BB10. Email has been sent to see if it will be offered.

Did some surfing on the web, and its extremely fast, with a sharp screen. Surprise, surfing on the small screen is not as good as a larger one. DUH. On the other hand, email, and texting is great, just like it used to be. Haven't had the opportunity to use the built in navigation and maps yet, but time will tell.

Build wise, its great. Size wise, for my usage, its perfect. Lots of things to still learn, and have to get that caldav working with iCal. Our corporation is still not supporting BES10 yet, which is one reason why I have it. Supposedly in a couple weeks, I will be beta testing BES10 along with the head office.

In case anyone wants to know, I'm on Verizon 10.1 at present.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Nice once-over! Good luck with the beta testing

3. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Update, I have found that the caldav/iCloud issue is known, and BB is working on the issue. Wonder if Apple just doesn't want BB's syncing with iCal for competitive reasons? Google trashed BBsync a ways back, so its not totally unheard of.

4. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Another update. I am making it a point to use the Q10 the same way I used my previous BB's, and my current iPhone 5. One thing I have noticed, is how many options and settings this thing has. It pretty much has most things enabled by default, and I am one that values simplicity and quickness. I have already cleaned out the Hub a bit, deleted a few not needed apps, and am practicing using my every day utilities like alarm, timers, etc. So far I have not downloaded any apps at all. Weather app seems good, still have not tested built in Nav and maps.

Personally, I think anyone getting one of these should be aware they can almost be configured any way you want. Could be more advanced than some need. I'm gonna try and get it set up as easy and quick as my older BB's :)

5. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Potential BB buyers be aware..... (note thats not beware). CalDav is NOT working well on the last gold build. Newer leaked builds do have it working. The CalDav problem is burning up the forums. Folks are not only having issues with iCal, but also Google calendar. There are of course, work arounds, and I have tried some to success, but I far prefer to use native software wherever possible. BB has to get this fixed. There are already posts with folks returning their Z's and Q's because they can't get CalDav to work, or work properly. Not sure, but I think Verizon only has a 14 day return period these days, and if CalDav is not working by then, I will be one of the returnees. Too bad, because this is one sweet little device.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

Do NOT miss your return window! Verizon is merciless if you miss it. I missed my return window for my 755p by hours and they wouldn't take it back. I wound up selling the thing at a loss on ebay and buying a BB 8830 to take its place. Which is why I stumbled into this thread. A fellow BB/OSX user. Well former BB user but still an OSX user.

One thing I don't care about in my iPhone 5 is calendar. I have so much going on at work, I mostly use my work calendar which syncs with a somewhat awful Android device I have. I do put events in from time to time and they sync just fine in an all iThings world. I'm happy to hear RIM got contacts and email working with iCloud. How do you handle photos? Do you sync them to flickr or something and then get them to your Mac? Do you bother with iPhoto or do you use something else?

7. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

If/When my work approves BES10, the work calendar, and contacts, and tasks will sync to the work side of the BB. I need the personal (iCloud) side to sync to the personal side, otherwise, I have to carry 2 phones. Not interested in that. Actually, what I was planning on doing, is getting an ipad to work with wifi from the BB, just for surfing etc. Don't need (or rather want) two phones, or an iPad with data. BTW, the BB has a very quick browser, but of course, the Q10 has that small screen.

Pics, music, etc is simple on the BB. In the old days on BB6 and 7, I synced my BB with BB desktop, and selected which photo album I wanted on my BB. Same on music playlists. BB desktop just asks which album or playlist you want on the BB. On the new replacement for desktop, BB link, you can do the same thing, only you can also do it wirelessly via wifi now. The BB Link works perfectly with iPhoto and iTunes. No need for something separate.

8. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Two new things. One of the concerns I had, was Splash ID was not available for the BB10, and I use that app daily. I got this response from Splash Data.

Thank you for contacting us again.

Yes, a new version of SplashID will be coming for the Blackberry 10 within the next two weeks.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

--Chester
    SplashData Staff

That solves that issue. Its good to see some previous BB software providers developing for the new OS.

One new item....I have found an update for my software, thats supposed to be a Master version. One of the things its supposed to address, is the CalDav issue. I am going to work on installing that version this evening. I used to find it was difficult to find a version I could install with a mac, and had to use a PC to accomplish that. I don't even have PC software on my mac any more, so we will see how that goes. In these situations, I always think of the folks that don't have the expertise to do these things, and how this just isn't right from a business standpoint. (makes me think of old folks who have issues with SS, and medical insurance, how do they handle it?)

9. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Decided to not go through the hassle of "hacking" and updating the software, as too many people at my corp are relying on my beta testing. I'm sending the unit back, and in my report to our company, not to authorize these until all the CalDav issues are resolved natively. I read that 10.1 was released to ATT customers on the z10 today. I'm wondering if their version has the same issue with CalDav that I had on the Q10 10.1 version for Verizon.

More than likely, when I receive reports that the CalDav issues are resolved, I will probably order a new one, and try again.

Hook likes this.
  10. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Reports are, that the leaked 10.2 does indeed solve the CalDav issues. When I see 10.2 on Verizon Q10's, I will try again. BTW, I sure did like the mail view on BB OS 7 a lot more than on the new OS 10. Thats a personal opinion though.

RickAgresta likes this.