BB Messenger for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by brickman65, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

OK this is Sweet! If you have been looking for a BB Messenger like app for the iPhone, check out WhatsApp in the App Store. Like BB you have to have an iPhone for it to work, but it has "push" so the app does not have to open for it to work. I have testing it out this morning and it works great! No need for Unlimited texting now!:newpalm:

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

I'm confused as to why you like this app. It only works for texting or receiving texts from people who have an iPhone and are using this program. So the majority of my texting is with people on a gammit of phones. Am I missing something here?

3. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

No, I don't think that you are missing anything Mickey. It is just that if you do not have, or want to pay for, unlimited texting, (like Me) this is an alternative. Not all of my friends have iPhones but the ones I text the most do, so this can allow my NOT to have to get Unlimited texting.

Again, just another "Alternative", or "Bullet in Your Gun" as we say in Sales.:rolleyes: ;)

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I took a quick look at the app. It's available for Blackberry and iPhone. You can send to anybody that has the app. Thanks to my daughter, we have unlimited text at our house so I don't bother with apps that try to get around texting, especially if they require a proprietary app on each end of the conversation. Most often, I receive texts from people who are running late for a meeting or asking directions or whatever. Not from people I regularly correspond with. Still, if you want to avoid text charges, there are a number of apps available that allow you to text for free. They are basically email apps. But it gets better. If you want to send a free text and you know your recipient's carrier, simply send to 123456789 @ whatevercarrier.com. Of course if they are charged for receiving texts, they still get hit. So WhatsApp definitely serves a useful purpose for those without unlimited text.

BTW, Blackberry messenger is built in to the OS. It goes through RIM's servers. It sends to "pin numbers" rather than phone numbers so you can cross carriers for free but the recipient must have a blackberry device and must have opted not to delete the blackberry messenger software on their device. When I read the title of this thread, I was a little confused at first because you mentioned BB messenger. For a moment I thought somebody had figured out how to make it do something more useful than simply send free messages from one BB device to another. Going to WhatApp quickly cleared this up because their app is available in BB App World so it's clear they aren't interacting with BB messenger but rather adding a separate app.

5. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

Thanks you two. I'm glad it will work for you brickman! I have to keep unlimited plan (group texting and such).

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Actually, I'm not a BB or iPhone user, but I had a pretty good idea what the OP meant right away from the title of the thread listed in 'new posts.'

A lot of people are familiar with BB Messenger even if they don't use it. It actually sounds like a great little app for many users.