Battery replacement for Palm T3- is it this easy??

Discussion in 'Palm' started by StephenT3, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

If you decide to let someone else do it, please don't use the guys who made the video. Get a quote from Palm Dr. (Chris Short), linked on my Palm TX Help page. The Palm TX battery was soldered and, though many here, including Raspy, changed their own TX batteries, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I used Shawn Lux, who worked with Chris and later Chris for all the refurb stuff I had done on my TX like battery replacement. Highly recommended.

Not pushing you not to do it yourself, just making a recommendation if you don't.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

It seems to me that the video makers want users to try this maneuver following their video and then when things go wrong, as they surely will (as raspabalsa points out), they can blame the user's inexperience and then "helpfully" offer their repair service for $$$. A lure and a trap for victims who don't know any better - or to come here for advice. ;o)

Shame on them.

Hook's advice is how I'd go. :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I agree with Hook, if you want to try a repair service, avoid the guys on the video. Chris Short of PalmDr. has excellent reputation and reasonable prices. I haven't sent any of my units to him, but I've read many success stories here and at other forums.

However, if you want to give it a try, the offer for assistance still stands, so just let us know.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

That's weird! I've just realised that the guy you recommend was the one who did my battery replacement last time, and I wrote a post praising the quality.

http://forum.brighthand.com/tungste...-battery-replacement-service.html#post1782356

Unfortunately, being based in the UK, it took an absolute age to do by the time they got it from me, replaced battery, and sent back. Ideally I would love a recommendation for someone in the UK, but I never got one a few years back, so I guess my chances of getting one now are even more remote!

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. Hook

Sorry, didn't realize. I don't know of anyone in UK.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I don't doubt Raspa's knowledge; but it does seem a bit harsh to dismiss the video out of hand. The way the above posts seem to describe it, why not remove those 4 screws and SEE what it looks like? Don't proceed further than that if it seems daunting. But you might get an idea how closely the reality matches the video.

7. raspabalsa

I did not dismiss the video out of hand. But just by StephenT3's description it was clear that something was wrong with the video. Still, I watched until I found the glaring errors. Then I continued to watch it to see what other errors it had. Even then, I checked my own T3 to be sure I was speaking the truth. It's been several years since I opened my T3, so I wanted to be sure I was not mistaken. If someone still doubts, check the pic below, it's my own T3, which I just opened. I removed the back of the slider and pulled the front half of the slider down for the sake of clarity. I moved the back case a bit upwards, disaligning it with the front half, so you can see the screw holes on both the front and back halves. I also removed the ribbon cable, which is attached to the back of the case. I marked the place where the case halves are held together by two screws that are not shown in the video, because you have to remove the slider to see them. You can also see the "pit" where the ribbon cable connector goes. The actual plug goes inside, and once connected rests about 1mm below the level of the back case, so it's not possible to connect the ribbon cable by simply reassembling the case as shown in the video.

[​IMG]

On second thought, what the video shows are not errors. They are active attempts at deceiving the would-be purchasers, so they do deserve even harsher treatment than we've given them. I agree with lelisa that this is a move to have purchasers opt for the installation service.

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

Wow, can't believe the effort you've put in to illustrate your argument, very impressive. Had no idea I would be so troublesome when I posed the original query :)

There's one minor detail I don't understand though. If the company that did the video wanted to promote their 'supply & fit' service, wouldn't they make the fitting video as complicated as possible to dissuade folk from doing it themselves? I know that's what would make me want to contract the job out. By making it 'easy looking', they just promote folk to do it themselves...

9. Hook

Two ways this works. Make it look easy; they buy the kit thinking it will be a piece a cake. When they fail, maybe doing damage to the ribbon cable, they blame themselves and send it in for repairs.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. raspabalsa

Heh heh... not much of an effort, really. My T3 has been non-functional for about 2 years (no screen and no digitizer), and I removed its battery a long time ago. But the case is complete (except for a few mods I've done) and it was actually pleasant to handle it again. It's a very well engineered little beast, and the cool, slightly textured aluminum feels incredibly good, much better than my Player's smooth plastic. Also, I'm quite bored right now ;)

I won't try to examine that company's motivations. What little I've seen of them is enough to know it's not a company I'd do business with.