Barnes & Noble nook Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jen Edwards, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

<p>The nook is the new electronic reading device from Barnes &amp; Noble.</p> <p>It has a beauriful, 6-inch, e-ink screen as well as a separate color LCD touchscreen below, which is used for navigation, to view book covers, and as a virtual keyboard when necessary. You can shop for books and magazines&nbsp;and have them download immediatly via Wi-Fi or AT&amp;T 3G wireless.</p> <p>This e-book reader has 2 GB of internal storage, plus&nbsp;a microSD slot allows you to add more capacity, plus bring in your own personal content if you don't want to hook&nbsp;this device&nbsp;up to your computer.</p> <p>The nook is $260, but any new orders won't ship until February 1 at the earliest; there will not be any nooks available at retail until after the beginning of the year. Orders placed now will receive a "holiday certificate" you can give to the recipient if you are ordering the nook as a holiday gift.</p>

Read the full content of this Article: Barnes & Noble nook Review

Related Articles:

Amazon Kindle 2 Review

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Magellan

Magellan Male Moderator Super Moderator

Great review! I hope my wife caught all of my hints, and I hope she caught them several weeks ago. :)

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Very nice review; but I would like to have read a bit more about the comparison in speed (page turning, searching, etc.) between the Nook and the Kindles. Every other review I've read describes the Nook as much laggier.

Interesting stuff about the footnotes and bookmarks. I use this feature on my WordSmith Palm doc reader (I don't typically write marginalia in 'good' hardcover books and haven't since college). On WS, I both the footnotes and bookmarks are WYSIWYG. They show pretty much as they'd appear on paper.

4. dunkaroo

dunkaroo Mobile Deity

What's the point of having Android on this device?

5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Kindle is using Linux, which is the default preference for devices of this type, though I don't know which distro Kindle is using, probably Debian, which is also used in Maemo like in the Nokia N900 and Google's own ChromeOS. I think Barnes and Noble was using Android because one, its also a Linux and its easily modified and easy to write software for,

6. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

While probably not B&N's point, for the end poweruser, the nook has already been rooted and had ordinary Android apps modified for use on it.

I'm eager to see what B&N and AT&T do in response to be people using the 3G access for things other than downloading books.

I seem to recall that B&N has tentative plans to provide apps for it. But I would expect the unofficial fare to be far more interesting.

7. Magellan

Yes, it allreasdy has Twitter, Facebook, Web Browser and Pandora apps running on a hacked version. Apparently the OS is on a removable SD card (once it is hacked open anyway).

8. dunkaroo

dunkaroo Mobile Deity

If app use is one of the great features that makes this product different from the Kindle and all the other e-readers available, then it should be pointed out and tested (yes tested) in the review. The review was well-written, but not comprehensive with this glaring omission.

9. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

App use is not currently one of the features of the Nook. The fact that some have been able to hack the device by rooting it and other means, does not make those things features. Android is simply an embedded OS, like the Linux that runs yor ATM. The review examined the device with manufacturer supported features, which is what a review should do.

10. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

The "future official and/or present unofficial app use" answer came as one part of responses to "why android?", not "why nook?" There was no glaring omission in the review for the reasons Hook states.

Hacks aren't for your average BH review reader (the thousands of people who read the news from the front pages, not the forums) who is looking for a more average use review. And the distant possibility that B&N may have official apps in the future isn't really something you can weigh right now. Maybe they will, maybe the won't. If they do, maybe it will be useful, maybe it won't.

11. Magellan

I was in a B&N tonight looking at it. The girl showing it to me said a software update was coming out next week. Anyone hear anything about it? She thought it would address lag time issues.

12. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

They've made it clear a software update was coming, though no timeline was given. That's great news if it is coming out quickly, I didn't think we'd see it until after the new year.

13. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

When Barnes & Noble follows through with its promise to release apps for the nook, I'll ask Jen Edwards to do a follow-up article. As has been pointed out, right now, it's not possible, as there are no apps available for this device that can be installed without extraordinary measures.
    -

14. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Barnes & Noble has released the first update for for the nook's system software. Jen Edwards has been testing this update on her device, and she says:

I got the update yesterday; the installation was easy and automatic. Overall performance is MUCH improved -- page turns are noticeably faster, navigation and cover view are much snappier as well. The time now displays at the top of the screen when you're reading, and the page numbers have been moved to the bottom, next to the reading progress bar. All of these changes are quite positive and most welcome.

My only disappointments relate (as usual) to the handing of sideloaded personal content. The sort order now defaults to the date added, unlike before when the My Documents section would follow the sort order of your B&N Library content. That means it's almost impossible to find what I want in my personal library of 797 documents, because they're sorted in a completely random fashion. In order for the nook to reach its full potential, in my eyes at least, we must have the ability to search book titles and sort by author, title, or date added -- the same options that are already available on the B&N Library side of things.

I have also found that many more of my books have gibberish titles/authors than before; I'm hopeful that I'll be able to fix those metadata issues with Calibre, the free (donation-supported) e-book management application. The time delay while the nook "searches for new content" each time you access the My Documents portion of your library has not improved (still 30 seconds or more).

So I'm planning to move quite a bit of my personal content off the microSD card (using Calibre to manage my e-book library on my computer) and just keep my favorites on the device, plus what I'm currently reading. I sincerely hope that B&N will make that automatic content search a manual task in the future, because right now it's a major pain and it's preventing me from using the nook as it was intended, as a full-blown electronic library.

The update is also supposed to enable the Barnes & Noble in-store connectivity and special offers, but I won't be able to test that until next week.​
    -

15. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

".....sorted in a completely random fashion....."

Good one, Ed! I could apply that phrase to myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.