Bad news for Palm OS/Mac Users...

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by questionfear, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostboykev

lostboykev Mobile Enthusiast

oh man!!! really? ugggh

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

shouldn't forget IR, hc. or does 6.2.2 & its companion HotSync not support IR? It may not be fast or sexy, but it is another option.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Quite right. You'd have to go out and buy a IR adapter tho. I'm pretty sure no current laptops have this old technology.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

not sure about the most recent crop from Lenovo, but the T60 and T61 (workie machines) I've had, do.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

IBM / Lenovo yes, but very doubtful for Macs, which this thread is about. Yet another reason I love my thinkpad.

6. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Yeah I think it is pretty criminal how quickly the tech companies abandon technology these days. Kind of slap in the face to their loyal customers - yeah I know lots of people would say you can't expect them to keep funding research for an old product forever, but I happen to think it is more intentional than that.
    Since the 80's corporations have been pushing throw away technology and it has only gotten worse.
    I get around the limitations through emulation though using virtual pc.

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I think in the case of Palm the biggest issue is that they lost control of Palm Desktop and never bothered to push or negotiate for better support.

As far as Windows Mobile goes, they actually are pretty good...Windows Media Device Center (which replaced activesync on Vista and Win 7) supports all the way back to Windows Mobile 5.0. Which came out ~4ish years ago. And IIRC the only reason they don't support back to WM2003 is because the whole OS underwent a major change when it jumped to 5.0. Everything 5.0 and up is backwards compatible to 5.0 though, which is a hell of a lot better than most OSes, since that's basically giving programs and PDAs that started at 5.0 roughly a 5-6 year shelf life (assuming that WinMobile 7 breaks some compatibility, which it may not.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.