backupman restore device

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by bradholcomb, Dec 30, 2014.

1. bradholcomb

bradholcomb Newbie

Hoping for some help. I have a Palm m500 that hasn't been used for quite a while and blanked out. I would like to recover a memo pad file from the sd card. I used backupman and I was able to launch it from the sd card and do "restore device" but the memo file I am looking for isn't there. That file was password protected. What do I need to do? Do I need to "assign password" on the device and do another restore from card? I do know the password. I would prefer not to have to install Palm Desktop on my Windows 8 64-bit machine and find the usb drivers and all that stuff. I just need the one file.

correction, it is a palm m515

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand

What you suggest sounds reasonable, and safe. I don't know Backup Manager, but I thought a pw protected Memo would show in the list, but be 'hashed-out'/hidden…is there any chance that the category is filtering out the memo you want? In the snapshot below, the hidden memo is shown because the category is 'All' even though the pw protected Memo is assigned a different category
    EDIT: I should point out that my testing&screenshot are from a TX, which is a different OS version than the m515
    20141230_192041.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    wozofoz and lelisa13p like this.
  3. bradholcomb

bradholcomb Newbie

Thanks Rick! I did experiment and assigned the password that I remembered. That memo didn't show so I did another restore from sd card and the memo showed up! Now, do I need to close this thread somehow?

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Congratulations, bradholcomb! No close is necessary. Please feel free to participate in other threads. :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

As I recall, there were also options to hide memos entirely.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Brad, glad it all worked out! As jig said, not to worry about closing the thread, but good of you to offer to assist with the housekeeping :newpalm: :vbgrin:
    As to why the restore 'took' the 2nd time, all I can think of is that BUM has the sophistication to not restore a pw protected memo unless there is a pw on the device -- not entirely sure I agree with that approach, but that's me.
    Happy New Year!

scjjtt likes this.