Backup program

Discussion in 'Palm' started by nowhere, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowhere

nowhere Mobile Enthusiast

About a half year has past since starting to use my Zire 72, which was an upgrade from my previous PDA - a HandEra 330. The HandEra came with a "Backup" program, which I could run to create an image (on the SD or CF removable card) of all the data and program files on the PDA. It would only take a couple of seconds to backup the entire PDA, and if the batteries went dead while on the road, the "restore" function proved enormously valuable. The Zire 72 doesn't come with such a program. When I was researching which new PDA to buy, I read one user review that said: the Zire 72 uses flash memory internally, so even if it's batteries go dead, your data will persist. It seemed believable to me, so I thought I didn't need a "Backup" program. But what I learned during the five day trip I just got back from, teaches something different. I took my PDA with me and not my very heavy laptop, and on the morning of the second day, I awoke to fine my batteries dead. After charging the device, I was prompted to run setup and saw that all my data was gone.

So, anyway, here's my question. Is there a program I can use with the Zire 72 that works like the HandEra's "Backup" program, allowing me backup to the SD card and later do a restore if necessary (in the absence of a desktop or laptop computer)? Thanks in advance.

2. tosbsas

tosbsas Mobile Evangelist

3. PetersReviews

PetersReviews Mobile Consultant

I would totally recommend some sort of backup software. There have been a few occasions where my Z72 has reset itself for no real reason. It's pretty devastating to turn on your PDA, see that it reset itself and you've lost a week's worth of new data since you were too lazy to hotsync.
    So far I've tracked my data loss to turning off the Z72 when I'm playing an MP3 file with RealPlayer.
    I've just installed the demo version of RescoBackup and hopefully that will help if my Z72 crashes again.

4. Skyrunner

Skyrunner Mobile Evangelist

You should just be able to open them in Blazer, on my LD I use Files and browse to it and open it that way, and it launchers Blazer.

But for Caching, you should checkout Cachemate, I just set my account on Geocaching.com to email me a GPX databse of my local caches weekly, use the Cachemate converter and sync it, works great!

5. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Whichever backup solution you finally choose, I would strongly recommend that you actually take time to make sure that it restores your unit completely - as well as just backing up. That means performing a backup, hard-resetting your unit and then restoring from that backup. Some have tried backup applications and only tested whether they backup successfully rather than making sure that the whole kit and kaboodle actually works when it comes to the omigodwheredidallmydatago crunch. :)

6. PetersReviews

PetersReviews Mobile Consultant

I agree. I've been testing several backup software programs with varying results. Unfortunately, none have been able to fully restore my Z72. It's pretty scary hard resetting my Z72 so many times. I'll let you all know if I find one that works completely without problems.

7. GI_Caesar

GI_Caesar Mobile Enthusiast

Has anybody managed to get any really working backing up software? I need something too, bestly something free (because of problems with paying for it abroad...).

8. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Check out this posting (shameless plug) for backup program suggestions.

9. imported_jm_aub

imported_jm_aub Mobile Deity

I use Red Feline Backup (freeware) and did manage a restore allright. Problem is that it has no scheduler, so you need discipline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.