Axim X51V vs X50V?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by MTHall49, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Your unit shipped with AS3.7.1, but AS3.8 (last 3.x build) should work fine.

AS4.x is generally faster, better; I use it and it always works fine (as it apparently does for you). Many Axim users have reported all manner of frustrating minor bugs that do not occur when running AS3.x. I would recommend ActiveSync over Vista's Sync any day; the latter is slow and unreliable, particularly when older (pre-WM6) devices are connected. (Don't expect Microsoft to improve it; their focus will always be on ensuring that the newest/greatest toys work well, not the discontinued obsolete toys that no longer generate revenue.)

Note that I prefer porting data manually (through flash cards) and generally avoid using sync software, and that I don't tend to run any WM software that's known to cause sync issues (the problems that do occur largely seem to involve compatibility bugs with specific software titles/versions, plus a generous mix of the usual PC/Windows/PICNIC issues that I'm confident you will be able to circumvent).

The current version of Microsoft ActiveSync (4.5) can be downloaded here, older versions (including 3.7.1 and 3.8) can be found here.

2. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

I'm just about to give up.

Is it possible that I have purchased *two* defective x50v's, or is WinMo this unstable? I have to reset the thing every 15 minutes or so. Is this normal? The first one I bought did this, so I've bought another. It seems little better.

Help?

3. Konrad Pierce

Since you're dealing with Sync issues the problem is just as likely the PC end of things or even the cables/connectors in between.

4. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Actually, I don't have sync issues, I was just asking in the hopes of eliminating any issues. Not doing too well ...

5. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Alright, I've decided that my two Axim x50v's were either defective, messed up by flashing to WM5, or both.

So I'm going back to the basics - getting WM2003SE with a QVGA screen. From all I've read, this should be the most stable, fastest, most compatible system (except for all the new software that is only for WM5/6 - heh).

Comments?
    Please tell me if I'm wrong.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Personally I think that the stability of WM5/6 outweighs whatever small speed boost you might get from WM2003.

7. Konrad Pierce

You're probably right that WM5+ is a better choice, Adama. For access to software, at least ... nobody codes WM2003x-optimized software anymore. But the latest improvements in "stability" really only almost make WM5/6 as stable as WM2003.

The great advantage under WM5/6, of course, is the user-persistent storage. Even I have found it quite handy numerous times. I still prefer the |traditional" model, however.

8. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Thanks guys.

Also I have heard that one secret to stability is to NOT put any programs into RAM, but just run all off the card. Was that just a WM5/6 thing or maybe even just an x50v with WM5 thing?

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

All I can comment on is my own experience, and I'll say this: I've never had an accidental or unintentional hard reset on WM5 or above. I can't say the same about WM2003. I've also had very few unintended resets.

This is with everything installed to internal flash.

10. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

WM2003 or WM2003SE?

I sounds like those are about like Win95 vs. Win98SE, which was huge.
    "SE" apparently means "Set" Edition.
    Of course, once it's set, they remake it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.