Axim X51V vs X50V?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by MTHall49, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Ah. Well, good to know it worked out for you.

2. ctitanic

ctitanic Mobile Deity

I think that this is the biggest difference between these two devices.
    Currently both devices are obsolete but you still find more support for the X51v than for the x50.

3. waterloo

waterloo Mobile Consultant

AHh ---

I am so confused on which to get

4. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Both are good, the X51v is overall the more advanced model and better choice. The (unofficial) WM6.0 and WM6.1 upgrades for the X51v are excellent. The X50v functions best under native WM2003SE and I would not recommend installing any WM5 or WM6 "upgrades". Both devices have been discontinued; the nearest equivalent currently available would be the HP iPAQ 200 Series (210, 21X).

5. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Koodos to you, IPMark! I have a tough time finding things on the Dell site. This is what I need! Very long story short, I now have two Axim x50v's, both WM5 (one had gone to 6.1 and back), both of which are unreliable. I can't wait to try this.

Brighthand Forums rock! I've been cruising several, and this is the most mature, informed, and helpful, by far. Thanks again, to IPMark and several others.

6. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

So Konrad, you're saying there's a big difference between the x50v and the x51v in terms of running WM5/6? The x50v is unstable, and the x51v is fine?

7. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Yes. Based on everything I've read from X50v users, at BH and beyond. The fundamental difference is the ROM architecture (NAND vs NOR) - the X50v's hardware just wasn't designed to run WM5's "persistent storage" model, and as such it becomes slower and less reliable than a machine (like an X51v) designed for the purpose. The X50v WM5 "upgrade" is - in my opinion - pushing the device hardware a bit out of spec, so of course it's reasonable to anticipate problems.

I've "upgraded" other WM2003x devices to WM5/6 with similar results.
    I've never personally used an X50v for more than a few minutes, and that was still running WM2003SE.

Even so, enough people representing all levels of PDA sophistication have reported X50v/WM5 problems that I'd consider this a valid concern. Even Dell has officially recognized the problems, though they've let news of this mistake quietly slide away into the background.

8. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Based on everything *I've* read at BH and beyond, that is the clearest, most sensible explanation I've heard. THANK YOU.:newpalm: It finally makes sense now.

Like those many other posters, I have not at all been pleased with WM5/6 on my Axim x50v. It's finally back to WM2003SE, and seems much, much happier.

9. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

One further question. ActiveSync 4.5 seems to be working with WM2003SE. Should I go back to 3.8?

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

You can if you really want to--for instance, if WiFi sync is essential--but really there's no need to. 4.5 works just as well as 3.8 ever did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.