Axim X51V vs X50V?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by MTHall49, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTHall49

MTHall49 Mobile Deity

I am looking at getting one or the other of these devices.
    I used to have the X50V and was wondering if the difference between them is great enough to hold out just for the X51V, or are the differences rather minimal?

I want the best screen resolution since I want to use this for functional aspects as well as a photo viewer too.

2. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

only major difference is the os. if you need WM05 (or WM06) get the x51v. if you need WM03 get the x50v

3. MTHall49

MTHall49 Mobile Deity

Thanks. Good to know.
    I guess I don't actually need any one OS, although I have become accustomed to the the WM05

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Differences: WM2003SE vs WM5; Different memory type; Different memory quantity; Backup battery vs Capacitor.

5. Ashton

memory type doesnt really matter though (except the OS cant be change and work reliably) and with WM5's persistant storage the backup battery is obsolite. to an end-user, the only differences are (1) more rom on X51v, and (2) the diff OSs

6. MTHall49

MTHall49 Mobile Deity

That actually leads to the other question I was about to ask.
    If I got the x50v with WM2003, would it not be too good an idea to think I could just install a newer OS from a CD? Never really tried it, but was wondering if there would be a lot more to it than just loading a new OS.

7. Ashton

To upgrade is more complicated though technically yes its' just "installed from a CD" but WM05 and WM06 DO NOT work well on an X50v. I had one and that is the reason I now have an X51v (x51v is designed to work wiht the WM05 "persistant storage" setup, while X50v uses the WM03 "traditional" PDA setup (RAM vs ROM))

If you want WM05 or WM06, get the X51v, if you want WM03, get the X50v.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I have two sealed unopened WM5 upgrades for the Dell X50V. 'nuff said.

9. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

The essential differences:

X50v
    • WM2003SE
    • 128MB ROM (NOR Flash EEPROM)
    • Supports CF, SD/SDIO/MMC

X51v
    • WM5 (WM6 unofficially available)
    • Internal battery removed (except on a small number of the earliest-released models)
    • 256MB Intel StrataFlash™ ROM (NAND NVRAM)
    • Adds support for CF2 and SDIO-Now!™ cards (WM6 version apparently also supports some SDHC cards)
    • Adds VGA-Out option
    • IrDA upgrade (longer range and stronger signal than X50v)

The most significant difference: the stock X51v runs WM5, which introduced "persistent memory" and is heavily dependent on the ROM. The X50v uses "NOR" ROM, which offers fastest Read and slowest Write speeds. The X51v uses "NAND" ROM, which gives faster Read and moderate Write speeds; an arrangement that suffers some minor tradeoffs for overall greater performance ... WM5 is said to be designed in ways that "optimize" the speed advantages inherent in NAND chips, so that aside from a few special-case extremes it's supposed to offer response and performance at least as good as earlier RAM-based WM models. (I don't personally subscribe to this nonsense - the best ROM is still whole magnitudes slower than the worst RAM ... but that's not relevant here.)

The WM5 ROM for the X50v does work, but it is now fairly well established that it very significantly slows overall performance of the unit (in a large number of little measures) and causes all manner of software/OS stability issues; permanent loss of "persistent" data when forced to hard-reset was a very common complaint. It also introduces some minor hardware glitches and compatibility issues which were never properly corrected (Dell basically abandoned this device/OS path and never really provided the usual updates or patches that correct such bugs). I wouldn't recommend applying the WM5 OS "upgrade" on any X50v.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Not that I ever used it, but the X50V had VGA out, too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.