Axim x51v opening

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by marcbos, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcbos

marcbos Newbie

I would like to open my Axim X51v to replace the digitizer, for a cracked screen (the screen still operates), some of the sites where you can get the parts want you to send the device in as the operation is described as difficult. Does anyone have any advice or link to instructions.

2. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I highly advise you to hop over to Aximsite.com (a site dedicated to the Axim line) where I know for a fact there are at least 10 people who have opened the axim.

If you want to end it off I recommended PPCtechs, they are the leading PPC repair/upgrade company on the net. Their prices may be a little high but you get what you pay for

3. marcbos

marcbos Newbie

Thanks, will check it out

4. MJones1

MJones1 Newbie

Hello,

I have the AXIM X51... My son dropped it the programs still works... I am looking to replace the glass... I am located in Connectincut.. Any advice to where I can take it to have the glass replaced?

5. marcbos

marcbos Newbie

6. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

If you purchase a complete LCM subassembly (the LCD screen and glasstop digitizer combined into a single unit) then it's quite easy to do the replacement yourself. If you purchase either the LCD or digitizer alone you may (or may not) find the repair very difficult or even impossible. It depends on what's been damaged on your screen; it depends on how your screen was assembled (it might be one of many different replacement parts available from different vendors, especially if you have a used/refurb unit).

For disassembly you'll need only some screwdrivers (a Phillips #00 or #000, maybe a tiny slotted, a Torx T5 or T6), and something like a thick credit card or very dull blade. Such Torx screwdrivers are a little unusual but can be purchased inexpensively in all kinds of places, though if you're impatient you can always just purchase a complete set for ~$15 at Radio Shack.

I second the Aximsite references: it's good to google around for guides and photos which describe the process. I say if you can't Open it, then you don't really Own it.