Average size of movie files?? re:Ripped DVD's

Discussion in 'General Windows Phone (Plus Windows Mobile, Pocket' started by imported_torgo100, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_torgo100

imported_torgo100 Mobile Enthusiast

I'm considering buying a new SD/CF memory card to allow me to watch rip's of some of my DVD's. What's the average file size if you rip a movie from DVD? I have a 128MB SD card at the moment, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on a bigger card if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.
  2. lord_shar

lord_shar I see fragged people...

Size depends on lots of factors:

1) resolution of encoding
    2) video bit rates used
    3) MPEG format
    4) sound sampling rates
    5) stereo vs. mono
    6) frame rate

etc...

I've seen 150 minute MPEG 1 movies take up roughly 500MB. I'm sure you'll get better results out of MPEG4/DiVX.
  3. thephenom

thephenom Mobile Evangelist

My regular DVD-rip Divx video for one movie is about 700MB.

Since PPC screen is so small, I usually compress it even more because it's barely noticable on the quality sometimes. I use Divx along with lame-mp3 encoding. It usually compress down to 200-250MB.

If you have CF slot, 512MB isn't too expensive. If you only have SD slot, 256MB is at pretty good price, 512 is too expensive. I guess if you have BOTH, get 2 256MB, 1 CF($50), 1SD($70). That's plenty of space to store anything at a pretty cheap price
  4. erik131

erik131 Mobile Enthusiast

I dont have that much expierience with ripping DVDs for a Pocket PC.

But from what I understand it is easy possible to fit one movie into a 256 MB card. Of course you have to decode it with DivX.

I was once also very intresed in this topic and looked a little bit on the net for tips. You will also find a lot of tips here in this forum.

One is that is better to use SD cards instead of CF cards. The point is not really the speed more the power consumption and processor consumption.
    I dont have a SD card jet so I dont know if its true, but it makes sence to me.

I myself use pocket MVP
    http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/
    it is great and I have much better performance than PocketDivx and it should support DivX 5 (havent tried jet)

So my suggestion, buy a 256SD card. It is worth the mony.

Erik
  5. imported_Covert

imported_Covert iPAQ 2215

If you follow the instructions at PocketMatrix you'll wind up with a good-looking (on the PPC) file that's about 200 MB. So a 256 MB card should suffice.

Full length movies for the PC can range from ~600 MB (medium quality) to over 1 GB (high quality).
  6. bravo261

bravo261 Mobile Evangelist

don't forget to rip it and watch it on the ppc, not the desktop to judge quality. being 320x240 or smaller, it will look like crap on the desktop. someone never tested it and thought it would look crappy on the ppc, so kept trying and trying and trying. poor guy took awhile to figure it out
  7. vetteguy

vetteguy Mobile Evangelist

That's a very nice guide. I've been wanting to play around with watching movies on my PPC, but haven't taken the time to research the best way to do it. What about standard avi's that you already have stored on your computer? What's the best way to handle them?
  8. imported_torgo100

imported_torgo100 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the input all. I am mainly looking at this for viewing on a PPC, as I have been traveling quite a bit lately. The only ripped movies that I view on my PC are MST3K episodes.
  9. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

I have ripped about a dozen of my DVDs for playback while traveling. I know that DivX is popular, I dislike the format and stay clear of it. (The Divx codec needs "room to work", and doesn't do well with ultra-low bitrates.)

I have had great success encoding movies to wmv format, with a total bitrate of 100K. Playback quality was surprisingly good on my BE-300, and looks equally well on my Maestro.

These work out to about 35-40MB per hour of video.

And as others have stated, the true test is on the device itself. The perceived quality depends on various factors and quality of the screen and brightness, sharpness, and contrast play into that.
  10. ATF_Raptor

ATF_Raptor Mobile Evangelist

It really depends on how picky you are about how it looks and sounds. I got a 2 hour movie down to 50 mb using Divx. It looks decent and sounds decent as far as I'm concerned. Since I'll really only put movies on my PPC that I've already seen, I see no reason to make sure it's a perfectly clear picture. Also depends what I'm doing. If I'm going on a plane flight or something, I'll go with multiple movies each at 50 mb on a 256 mb card, usually 4, leaving space for everything I have installed on my SD card. But normally, it's one movie around 150 mb, pretty much just to show off to people.
  11. naldo

naldo Mobile Enthusiast

Can you guy give me the steps for taking a 650mb DivX movie and compressing it down to 40mb per hour? Yeah...That would be great. (theres a little hint to which movie I plan on compressing)
  12. EndlessNameless

EndlessNameless Mobile Enthusiast

Sracer -

Didnt you post a template for mpgtv or wmp on abf? If you did, could you please repost it here?

Thank you

btw...You did a lot of great stuff with the be300. I was around for alot of that. The be300 is a great machine when your compare the price vs performance, but I traded it in for a shiny new v35. I love the speed and form factor of the v35.
  13. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

Thanks for the kind words EndlessNameless. Those were indeed fun times. Yes, at one time I posted a TMPGENC template that I created for MPGTV on ABF. But I am hesitant to perpetuate that. Why? Because wmv is so dramatically better than similarly sized mpg files that there is no comparison.

Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder is a free download and can encode video to the specs needed. I'll try to document the settings that I use for BE/PPC playback.

ATF_Raptor offers sound advice... even if I disagree with the choice of video format. ;)
  14. ShadowVlican

ShadowVlican Mobile Enthusiast

To: sracer or ATF_Raptor

any of you care to post HOW you compressed 1 hour of video into 35-50MB?? :confused: :confused:

that would REALLY help!!!

THANKS! :D
  15. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

Sure... using Windows Media Encoder, I have created a BE/PPC encoding template with the following values:

Target Audience: 80K

Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio V8
    Audio Format: 16kbps, 16kHz, mono

Video Codec: Windows Media Video V7
    Video size: 320 x 240

Frame rate: 15fps
    Key frame interval: 8 seconds
    Image quality:0

This results in a total bitrate of about 100Kbps, and 30-40MB per hour of video.

These are the values that I use, but I'm really curious to see if anyone has other settings that yields similar sizes but better quality.
  16. e310Krazy

e310Krazy Guest

17. sesea

sesea Mobile Evangelist

sracer - Thanks for the settings but, what software and process did you use to rip your DVD's ? I have gone through the process on pocketmatrix which spells it out for DVD's quite well (although I seem to have a problem right at the end when I go to make my first pass "Error initializing audio stream compression:The requested audio conversion is not possible", perhaps I need a different mp3 codec?) to DIVX creating an .avi file. Do you then convert that file using media encoder ? By the sounds of it you use a different process.
  18. criptik28

criptik28 Mobile Evangelist

sracer - can those settings be used to convert any movie file? I have a bunch of .mpeg and .avi files that I'd like to compress and watch on my e740 - what's the best way?

(Also, sometimes I get "The input media format is invalid" error messages. What's up with that?)
  19. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

Yes you can use these settings to convert any movie file. However keep in mind that if the original video is smaller than 320x240 it doesn't make sense to make it larger. In that case, simply keep the original dimensions and use those settings.

As for the error message, I too sometimes get that with Windows Media Encoder... in that case, I switch to Vegas Video to create the wmv. (I should check to see if MS has an update to WME)
  20. sracer

sracer Senior Advisor

I don't care for the process used by pocketmatrix, but then again, as I said, I don't care for Divx. I use a tried-and-true method, that although may not use the latest-and-greatest all-in-one software, is very straight forward and produces the best results that I've seen....

I use SmartRipper -> DVD2AVI -> TMPGENC to create VideoCD-compliant MPEG1 files. Then I feed them into WME or Vegas Video.

But that is because I create VCDs for use on computers without DVD players.

If I just want to rip a DVD quicker simply for playback on my PDA, I use SmartRipper to extract the files, and then feed those files into Vegas Video... 2 step process and extremely quick.

That is about as much detail as I'll get into because as is evident by all of the online guides, there are literally 1000's of ways to do it. And the author of each believes their process is the best. :)