Auto-Rotate on TP2

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by JRakes, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

On Touchie, my new Touch Pro2, the display auto-rotates when the hardware keyboard is revealed. The G-sensor can also auto-rotate the display based on device orientation, but ONLY within certain apps. I'd really like to have auto-rotate for more stuff - In fact, I'd prefer auto-rotate in everything vs the current very limited selection.

In doing some quick research, I found a freeware app called "Change Screen" on the xda-developers forum. The comments read as though it will do what I want. Anybody have any experience with this? Being a total n00b to HTC and WinMob, I'm taking a very cautious approach with things, especially "system" enhancements and tweaks.

Advice? Suggestions?

Joe

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm guessing it does require some sort of hack that can track the sensor output in the background and then force the screen to respond. I believe that problem is that not all WinMo programs use the accelerometer data.

The only thing I'd be watching out for is performance hits from the background activity of the hack.

I'm betting that most very current , big-name 3rd party apps should respond properly without the hack.

However, I don't know. Wait for the real WinMo people to show up. ;-)

3. JRakes

I was thinking the same thing. The discussion about it at xda-developers suggested there was no performance hit - It apparently just hooks in (no pun intended ;) ) to the display "driver" (if I understood correctly, which is certainly not guaranteed!) Since the TP2 auto rotates everything when the keyboard is exposed, the capability in the diplay software / driver is obviously there - It sounded to me as though a similar "command" was used with the patch based on the g-sensor, rather than relying solely on a particular app's use of that trigger or giving the keyboard an, uh... "Extension."

But, as I said, I'm not that familiar with this stuff (yet!) so was wondering if anybody else had any experience with it. Probably ought to check back at the xda thread and re-read, now that I've had some sleep! :rolleyes:

Or, I could charge ahead and see for myself - I've got trials of both Sprite Backup and SPB Backup installed, so I should be able to get back to a known good state if I bodge it up horribly. :eek: But that's another question, I suppose... Off to the WinMob forums! :rolleyes:

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Can't help here. Screen rotation wouldn't do me a bit of good. What do you get when you rotate a square? A square... :p

5. JRakes

But... What if you're lying down? You don't want to look at it sideways, do you? :rolleyes: :D

6. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

As far as I can tell, this sounds a bit like that third party touchscreen driver I got from xda-devs. It basically was a modification of the default touchscreen driver except you could make it vibrate when you press a button on the keyboard or phone pad (that's how I had it configured, although it was more flexible than that).
    I saw this before, and I would test it out, but the 8125 doesn't have a gravity sensor. But it sounds like it'll do what you want - I'd just install a trial of SPB Backup or Sprite Backup and make a backup of it as it is right now and then try it out.

7. JRakes

The TouchFLO 3D interface on Touchie has that vibrate option for various actions already. I turned it off, using the vibrator <Joe-Boy looks around at the crowd...> for calls and alerts only. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking I could just do a backup, give the Change Screen thing a go, and see if it does what I think it does. I attempted to go back and re-read the thread where I found it, but couldn't find the thread... Doh! Worst case, I'd do a hard reset to get rid of it, then restore from the backup.

8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. JRakes

Thanks, Ed - I'll look into it!

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

"$3.99 for the first minute. $.99 for each additional minute. Please be 18 or over." :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.