ATT Pay as you Go: the price drops this week from 0.25/m to 0.10/m

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by philippe, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

LandSurveyor, the individual you responded to is no longer allowed.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Yes, that post seemed legit but he posted in one other thread I monitor and I saw that one looked fishy.

I see a lot of these "posts" wherein somebody makes an effort to seem real and then or later slips in some sort of pitch. What's the deal? Do people get paid to do this sort of stuff?

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Paid or not, they're clever b@st@rds who do just enough to get in the door, sometimes build sufficient post count to be able to post links, then BOOM! There's the Spam-Bomb. :eek:

Glad I missed it, actually. I sometimes think not-so-nice things about spammers. :rolleyes:

4. LandSurveyor

For us, it's a minor irritation. I'm sure the moderators get sick of it, though.

5. LandSurveyor

Back on topic, for a miracle.

Re: PagePlus, a little country store hereabouts sells those. I was surprised the other day to find that they actually had a couple of smartphones on the counter. A Pixi and an older Android, IIRC. The lady says they will activate those phones as well as anything else that will work on Verizon's network.

PagePlus is popular here for both the rates and the coverage.

I started a new thread since I looked at their site. They have actual smartphones listed now. Very surprising. Beats the heck out of that stuff Walmart was pushing.

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I actually enjoy spotting them in the pre-spam phase. It's like playing whack-a-mole. "Got one!"

Every now and then I get a false positive. There's someone at one forum with hundreds of posts and more than a year under their belt that I STILL can't believe isn't a computer-generated spam machine. I go back and look at their old posts every few months expecting them to be re-edited with spam content after they pass off the front pages. :eek: :rolleyes: It would be the longest con a spammer ever pulled, but somehow I still can't let go of the notion. At a minimum, this person must have been raised by spam-bots and picked up their 'mannerisms'.

Someone actually has a theory that someday computer spamming will evolve to truly be more helpful than real posters as a marketing mechanism. Imagine Watson as a digital salesman going from forum to forum addressing unanswered questions and posting a link to related products. It would keep the rest of us from having to post lmgtfy links at least.

7. JRakes

BWAHAHAHA!!! :D

I regularly spot one during my early morning visits - Sorta my "waking exercises" as I'm trying desperately to swab the cobwebs from my not-yet-functioning brain. It'll be much more fun thinking of it as a cheap carnival game!

Hey, do we get prizes? :p

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Very satisfying, catapulting them back into the ether. ;) Also grateful for the reporting of the carcasses for cleanup. :)

Now! Back to the topic, yes? (Keep the Admins happy.) :newpalm:

9. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

You would think that Pay as you go from ATT would have their express machine working so you don't have to bother the salespeople. Nope I had to pay with a person and supposedly my $25 dollars will be good for another two months (I use the data plan and pay $0.25/min anywhere in the US).

Yeah I might go for the $0.10/min if I start having to make more phone calls, but basically I don't answer phone calls.

However I did get those text spam that costs me money. You have to immediately cancel them by replying "No". There is no way to prevent your precious minutes from disappearing except to respond back to cancel them. (Don't ask me how I got on their listing but be careful to who gets your number.)

Strangely my brother has canceled his landline. I have gone completely cell phone.

10. JRakes

I refill my AT&T GoPhone account online - No sales people involved, IRL or on the phone.

And you can put your cell number on the national Do Not Call registry. Not sure if that works for texts, but so far <fingers crossed> I've not had any of those. Woe unto the first one who sends me one or calls me, just like on my landline home phone. They usually hang up in agony... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.