ATT, Android and side loading

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Hook, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

You can...as long as you don't buy from AT&T.

For some reason this is a hangup only AT&T has, and no one else does this/has implied they will do this. In fact, with VZW carving out more and more apps branded with their logo, and Amazon looking to create an app store, there's less incentive for carriers to pull this ****. When they do it means they have to work twice as hard to support their own non-market apps, etc.

I am not sure why AT&T thinks we need hand-holding, but as of now T-Mo, VZW and Sprint all treat their customers like adults. If that changes, there's still a very healthy unlocked market for Android devices.

Remember, and I can't emphasize this enough, this is an AT&T limitation. No one else pulls this crap, and I don't see anyone else doing it. It's frustrating the hell out of AT&T users, so hopefully they'll change their tactic in the future.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I just wonder how many actual frustrated AT&T users there are, in proportion to the others who don't realize an alternative exists. Smartphones used to be the preserve of geeks like us. This is changing. The carriers have thrown wide the gates and people are wandering in who don't even realize what a smartphone is. They were happy with their feature phones before and many don't even know how to answer a text message. Now they have a fancy new device with gobs of features they will never use, even if they know they exist.
    These are the same people who blunder about on the internet from their computers at home, open suspicious emails, don't keep their antivirus updated, and call their friends at 11pm when their computer locks up.

And they are many.

But because the carriers want to increase their revenue streams by signing these many up for data plans, they heavily advertise flashy new phones to these unknowing who will, at best, check email and maybe the weather.

I can see why AT& T went this route but leaving the button in the "off" position would have been enough.

3. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

With QF... it is very, very ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.