ATT, Android and side loading

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Hook, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I'm trying to find out some information. I believe AT&T (US) has side-loading blocked on their Android phones, but I don't know the extent of it. What brought this question to my mind is that, I no longer hook up Nexus One via USB to side-load anymore-- I use Dropbox. It is so much faster, and I don't even have to download the install file to my SD card.

Would this method work on an actual AT&T Android phone? Or is it manual installation the have somehow blocked?

Not contemplating buying an AT&T Android Phone, just curious.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

No. AT&T actually blocks the "install non-market apps" setting. So you can get the APK on the phone, but the phone has no way to access the right part of the OS to install the app. Remember, the ability to install outside the market is turned off by default and you need to go into settings to check it off, at which point your phone verifies you know there's a risk and off you go.

That's what makes it so insidious. They actually removed the entire setting, so you either need to jump through flaming SDK hoops or root just to get something that's built into the OS.

I am sure if an AT&T rep were here, they'd tell us it was to protect people from installing malicious apps, but it's a terrible move and the main reason why I tell people not to buy Android from AT&T.

3. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Thanks, QF. You can bet I never will. ;)

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thanks for the question, Hook, and the crystal clear answer, QF. My risk of moving to AT&T is small, but this bit of information is very good to have.

5. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I'll need to search for the link, but I believe someone at XDA or perhaps another forum simplified the procedure to side-load without rooting the device. I will see if I can hunt that down again.

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I knew there were specific ATT androids with this blocked (like the backflip), but I didn't realize it was universal. This is true for even the high end phones like the captivate?

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

There might be...I know there were a few workarounds that worked, then didn't...HTC had a desktop app for a hot minute I think.

Even the Galaxy Tab from AT&T has it blocked. Ridiculous...

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

:eek: Apple and ATT deserve each other I guess. I remember when VZW was the king of gimping smartphones.

I realize there are people who need and want to be protected from themselves (not that this does that since I think Google has let malware onto the market repeatedly), that's what Apple and MS are there for. Can't we have one OS that's not baby-proofed so those of us without babies don't have constantly step over gates and unlock toilets?

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Where's the sport in that? :rolleyes:

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Yeah... That might imply some of us are responsible adults and have other things to do. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.