At the 1 Year Tx Anniversary, What Problems Have You Had & How Have you Solved Them?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

It's been a few months since I replaced my digitizer , so I don't remember the specifics, but its not that tricky.

You carefully pull the digitizer from the display. You can use the edge of a flat screwdriver or razor blade. Since you are replacing the digitizer, you need not worry about damaging it.

The most difficult part is inserting the new ribbon cable back into the connector. You need tweezers or needlenose pliers for that.

2. jobooth321

jobooth321 Mobile Deity

My digitizer started flipping out juuuust before my 1 year anniversary and is being sent back tomorrow. The thing has been bullet proof until now!

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

My Tx use is approaching 1 1/2 years (2 advanced exchanges in the first year!) and I must say my present Tx is operating as well as any Palm that I have ever owned. I have 90 installed apps and have not had a soft reset in 18 days. Prior to that I had about 5 per month all caused by Backup Buddy's new automatice backup function. My Tx is set to automatically perform a complete backup every night with NV Backup, but I like that BU Buddy backs up certain specified apps automatically after each use. That is very convenient for my use. I am willing to put up with the occassional reset for the piece of mind that I get.

I have discovered an ongoing problem with my Tx that I have found a work around for. After hot syncing with a cable, sometimes my hard buttons do not work if I disconnect from my cable before turning my Tx on. If I turn my Tx on prior to disconnecting, this problem does not occur. If I forget to turn on my Tx prior to disconnecting and the buttons do not work, sometimes I can remove my SD card and that will turn my Tx on and solve the problem. If the SD solution does not work, a soft reset solves the problem. This is a very minor annoyance. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

4. jobooth321

jobooth321 Mobile Deity

Dude, that's weird. The power button on mine has been a little sketchy but I've never thought to try turning on/off before unplugging it from my pc.

Things to make you say, "hmmm..."

5. DTM

DTM ---

Interesting! I've been thinking about starting a thread about flaky hard buttons, but you may have hit on the answer. What I find occasionally is that I have to hit a hard button three or four times to turn on the TX, then everything works perfectly after that. I have not made the connection with syncing and disconnecting while the power is off, but I'll keep an eye on that and see what I get. Thanks for the tip!

6. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Hmm, I've had this happen as well DTM....but I attributed it to my Vaja case interfering, as this case has the button covers built into it. Hmm? This is interesting. I'm going to watch this and see if my Vaja case is in fact innocent. Thanks ward.smith and DTM for bringing this to my attention.

Dang...I guess one year in Palm life is the equivalent of 100 years in human life, given the problems that start to show up after a year or so, at least with this unit. :p :( It is minor, so I won't grieve too much, but the little things add up. In all honesty outside of the power drainage issue I'm having right now (which doesn't appear to be a TX issue in and of itself), if I'm remembering correctly this might be my only "1 yr. boo boo."

7. Future_TXer

Future_TXer Mobile Deity

I have had mine for about 6 months, I am babying it alot and haven't added that many apps to it.. I figure the safe way to do it is add one application at a time and then use it for a while before you add another to see be sure it doesn't give you problems.... For what ever reason I hardly ever use my power button because I got use to pressing my home hard button to turn it on and have the auto off set to a short time so that I never turn it off just let it turn itself off.. With all the power button issues it seems I am doing it the best way I could to save me wearing out my power button, I did not do this on purpose it is just the habit I formed.... Question?? Are there any Datebk 6 message boards that you know of that I can read to get more info on that program Thanks..

8. DTM

DTM ---

Further investigation reveals the following:

First, OHD, it's not your Vaja case. I use a Targus slip case with the Palm flip cover, so there is no way my case could be affecting the buttons. You can humbly apologize to your case. And I have no doubt you will. :)

Second, it does not appear to be related to syncing, just unplugging the cable while powered off. All I have to do is plug in the cable, let it power down, unplug and the problem appears.

Third, Ward.Smith is correct that there are no problems if you power on before unplugging the cable.

Fourth--and this is the interesting one--I had Plucker open and let the TX power down while plugged in. I then unplugged the sync cable and pressed the calendar button. As expected, nothing happened. I then pressed the power button a couple of times to turn it on, and it opened to the calendar, not Plucker. That means that it saw the first press of the calendar button, opened the app, but failed to turn on the screen. That, in turn, means that there is nothing wrong with the buttons. It has to be a software/firmware problem. Not that I have any idea as to what to do about it, but at least it's good to know that we're not seeing a hardware failure.

Now, if not everyone is seeing this, it would appear to be a software conflict of some sort. Since this did not start on day one, I can only guess that it would be due to a new or upgraded app. I don't remember exactly when this started, but the changes I've made recently include:

Install Yaps
    Install Avantgo (OHD: that's not treason!)
    Install Google Maps
    Upgrade Watchmaker to 1.5.1
    Upgrade Documents to Go to v. 9
    Upgrade wireless keyboard driver to 1.13
    Upgrade Pocket Tunes Deluxe to 3.1.8

Does any of this look familiar to anyone having this problem?

9. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Believe you're on track. I don't use the sync cable (except for the two times Windows Update fubared WiFi sync) and don't have power button issues.

No YAPS, AvantGo long uninstalled, no Watchmaker. Using 1.13 keyboard driver, P-Tunes Deluxe 3.1.7 (there was nothing I could see a non-Treo user benefitting from 3.1.8) and DtG 7.006.

10. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

<OHD walks back into the thread after having a long heart-to-heart-with her TX and offering a deeply felt apology.>

First, regarding your installation of Avantgo....:eek: suuuuuuure it's not treason. :rolleyes:

Secondly, none of those things are consistent with my new apps with the exception of that PTunes instance. I have 3.1.8 and trialed the deluxe version but didn't buy it just yet, so it's gone. Hmmm. I also get the "Your device crashed or reset while in PTunes, blah blah blah" message when I launch Ptunes. Do you get that? And I have the same wireless keyboard driver as you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.