AT&T network expansion?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by LandSurveyor, May 23, 2011.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I just saw a commercial on TV specifically stating that AT&T was building towers. Is there any information out there to indicate where this is taking place? Don't get me wrong; it would be nice if they did do some building out but I'm wondering if this is just more densification.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

We have a former At&t network engineer working in our building. He worked there until 3 weeks ago. They recently brought a new tower online in downtown Royal Oak that is capable of 5MBPS 3G data. He said they are bringing other new towers online in the Detroit area but he wasn't sure where though he mentioned they are tying them to fiber and I speculate that it is the same fiber they use for Uverse. Of course any towers in the Detroit area are densification which is sorely needed given the relatively spotty performance of At&t around here.

When I look at the "mark the spot" map for SE michigan, it looks like an "orange cloud" so as far as I'm concerned, At&t can't build out new capacity fast enough. If Verizon brings out tiered or family plan data, I'll be paying my ETF and going back to Verizon for a phone that drops less than a dozen calls a week. While I've had a couple of weeks where I dropped a dozen or more calls, in a typical week I get 3 or 4 dropped calls. This gets my attention because when I was on Verizon, I got 3 or 4 dropped calls in 10 years. That's over 500 times more dropped calls on At&t than on Verizon and while it's better than my Tmo, Nextel and Sprint (Virgin Mobile) experience, it's a situation I'm not happy with. I like saving money on tiered data but I do need the phone to work whenever and wherever I make or receive a call.

Since our population has been in free fall for the last several decades, I doubt SE Michigan densification is much of a priority in At&t's build out plans. The fact that we got one new tower in the past month is surprisingly good. If my dropped call experience gets better over the summer, I might be able to ride out my contract until my ETF gets under a hundred bucks but it's hard to imagine sticking with At&t for the long haul when trouble free service on Verizon is such a recent memory for me.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm sure that ATT is building towers. But so is everyone else, and ATT seems to be building from a worse 'base,' at least in some areas. In others, they're great.

Also, I'm not sure towers are the issue. Often towers host more than one network and are maintained by contractors. So they just need to pay to increase their coverage, without needing to start from scratch.

4. LandSurveyor

I guess to say "building out" is an oversimplification. I think T-Mobile owns more of its own towers than the rest, who simply lease space on towers owned by dedicated tower companies. AT&T could simply add structures to towers already occupied by VZW to increase their footprint. That and add the necessary backhaul. But if they have issues with their stated coverage area already, I don't see them dedicating much effort to totally new territory any time soon. It doesn't seem like a good idea to reach farther out while losing customer they already have. Hence the need for the T-Mobile deal? Since I think they already have roaming agreements, at least for voice & text, improved data coverage would seem to be the goal.

5. Radon222

Radon222 Mobile Deity

Uhoh... the breaking news is not looking good!!

U.S. files to block AT&T deal for T-Mobile - Yahoo! News

ReutersBy Jeremy Pelofsky. Editing by Robert MacMillan | Reuters – 5 mins ago

Reuters - 6 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration on Wednesday filed to block AT&T's proposed acquisition of wireless rival T-Mobile USA because of anti-competitive concerns, two sources familiar with the matter said......

6. LandSurveyor

The fat lady is still in her dressing room at this stage. This may just be part of the show on the government's part.

It's terrible that this is going to continue to drag out. This extended period of indecision does T-Mobile no good at all.

7. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

I loved the interview with their CEO on CNBC, where he promised to bring back 4000 Jobs from India if the deal was approved. Of course, he didn't address the Tmobile people who would lose their job. Plus, frankly, I don't believe him. Can't say he made a very good deal, promising a 3 billion dollar breakup fee on the deal, along with spectrum. He must not have gotten (or ignored) decent advice.

RE: coverage, its interesting in my office building, I know there is a Sprint tower just northwest of the building on the Highway. Maybe 600 feet or so. I dunno where the ATT tower is. My office is on the East side of the building. I get great reception with my ATT iPhone in my office, and lousy reception with my Sprint BB. (maybe building interference). Its usually, the other way around out my way.

8. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

LandSurveyor, this has NOTHING to do with the above quote, however I admired your picture up there. My father used to park his planes in a hanger, next to a P47 like that. The man had the Thunderbolt, and also a Dauntless dive bomber. I used to get such a kick outta hearing him start up those twin radials on that P47. (damn that plane is huge). As Hemingway would say......it made the earth move. Course, I was only about 12-14 back then. I was easily impressed, and still am by ww2 birds.

9. LandSurveyor

Thanks. I have some pictures of a Dauntless here as well somewhere. I think the were both possibly at the same airshow.

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm a P-38 Lightning fan myself (along with Spitfires).