Asus Zenwatch 2?

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by internetpilot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

The AppFour Launcher is a lot less "heavy" than Wear Mini Launcher. What I like about it over stock is that it can display three columns of icons (in addition to the single column). If you tap and hold an icon you can hide it or mark it as a favorite (so it will stay at the top of the list). But that's really about it, so it's no where near as cumbersome to configure as Wear Mini Launcher. I'll probably keep it installed. Right now I'm using the stock launcher and the AppFour Launcher about 50/50. If I find myself using the stock launcher more, I'll probably just remove the AppFour one.

Wow, you seem to have found a genuine bug -- at least in the Asus watchface, if not actually Wear 2.0. Not that it does you much good, but you can at least brag about it, right?

I did notice that you could put an app icon on watch faces now! That's sweet! I'm still using Pujie Black at the moment. I modified a dual face watch face that was shared on the Pujie Black Google+ group. I rearranged a few things, but also changed the color from a dim greenish/grey LCD look to a brighter blue, which is easier to read in bright sun light, etc. I switch watch faces a lot though, so this should be considered my flavor of the week. I do find myself using a lot of the included Asus faces now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. internetpilot

Well, that's lame! I'm all stoked over the Wear 2.0 update, especially how it now "has it's own Play Store", but there's no easy way to install updates to apps. I noticed that several Wear apps updated on my phone (as well as phone apps that I know have Wear counterparts), so I went to the Play Store on my ZenWatch 2 to see about updating them there, too, but there is no menu item for listing updates. You have to search for each app in the Wear Play Store, find it, and only then does it give you the option to update it. That has to be done for all apps. I had 9 apps update on my phone that have Wear counterparts, and I had to go through that process for each of these 9. Now, I'm not sure if I would've just left it alone if it would've eventually updated on it's own or not, but several of those 9 apps were updated this morning and they didn't automatically update on the watch all day, so I don't think it automatically updates. That's a pain. It definitely makes me want to limit how many apps I install on my watch!

scjjtt likes this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Wear 2.0 can and does install apps separate from the phone. It almost makes, as stated in this link, like you have 2 totally different devices that share information.

I agree with you - I'll keep the number of apps on my watch down to a minimal. Some of the apps I have now, I really never use (documents and slides) after I installed them.

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/25/t...y-store-is-going-to-be-drastically-different/

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. internetpilot

I always wondered how well a SmartWatch would do (or not) if not connected/synced for a while. Well, I found out on a recent week-long cruise with the family where I only had phone service for part of 3 of the 7 days. I'm happy to report the watch did fine. Of course, it had old weather and other data that requires a regular internet connection to update/sync, but it did just fine at being an AverageWatch (not quite a SmartWatch, but not exactly a DumbWatch).

Since it was a Disney Cruise, I, of course, changed from my normal nerdy watch face to something more appropriate, which generated quite a stir from fellow passengers as well as the Disney staff both of whom frequently inquired as to where I obtained the watch.

20988271_10209992697078963_5853136474160980578_o (Custom).jpg

Still can't decide on whether or not to get another ZenWatch 2 (perhaps a gunmetal one since I already have silver) as a backup to this one or if I should just move on to the ZenWatch 3. I really like the square shape of the ZW2, and I really like how well the Wear 2.0 update works on it. There used to be a huge price difference, but now that the ZW3 is a little more affordable, it's tempting to move on to the newer/different hardware. I'll probably just end up not doing anything until the ZW2 dies, which will likely be when there aren't any ZW2's readily available, so I'll be forced to go with a ZW3. Or...will I completely move on to the Huawei Watch 2? Hmmm.... I am pretty happy with Asus, and between my mini-notebook, my son's newer version of the same mini-notebook, and four (yes, four) ROG gaming laptops all from Asus, we seem to have moved on from being the Samsung family to being the Asus family.

I think I'm officially in a currently satisfied holding pattern. I do find it humorous how when I started this thread I was so wishy-washy on SmartWatches, and now I find myself wondering how I was ever satisfied with just a regular ol' watch.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nice Mickeys. :thumbsup:

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I love the Mickey watch faces along with your avitar. Can you put a little Calvin and Hobbes somewhere? :)

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Very nice Mickey!

I agree with you IP - I too really enjoy the use of a smartwatch. I too enjoy the square design over the circular design. I just got my ZW 2 setup to work on my LG G4. It is a great watch - if only it had the Pebble OS with the ZW 2 display & size. I still use the Pebble 5-6 days a week.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

jigwashere, Hook and lelisa13p like this.