Asus Zenwatch 2?

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by internetpilot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Yes, I worked with Google Messages but there are times I need to go back and respond to a text which came in before another text came through and with Messages, I can't go back because I've already looked at it, even though I didn't respond. Wear Messages allow me to back up and read and/or respond to previous texts.

The ZW2 can add sound to the notifications, but like you, I don't want that.

I downloaded, and paid for Feel the Wear which promised to be able to change the number and intensity of the vibrations, but I haven't been able to get that to work with the ZW2.

I'm looking forward to Wear 2.0 - just so I can hide the apps that I never use. I know that Wear Mini Launcher does that, but my first go around with it was confusing.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I wonder why you can't see older texts in Messages? I have no trouble doing that...just tried it now. I wonder if SMS is dependent on the OS version, phone, or even the network you're on. I'm on Android 7.1.2, on a Nexus phone, and on Sprint (but with integrated Google Voice through Sprint). It would be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

I don't know if I'm looking forward to Wear 2.0 or not. I've heard some bad things about it, too, like notifications are really messed up and that Do Not Disturb is not synced (it's handled separately for your phone and the watch, which is just stupid). We'll see...IF it ever actually arrives.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. internetpilot

Wow, still no Wear 2.0 upgrade for the Asus Zenwatch 2. The natives in all the forums are really getting restless! Haha. I'm being patient, but I'm a little surprised that it's taking this long. Even the ZW3 doesn't have it yet, and it was originally supposed to ship with it. If there having this many problems with it, I'm wondering if I want to install it at all???

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. internetpilot

Just got the AndroidWear 2.0 update on my Asus Zenwatch 2. Sweeeeet. I assumed it was just a security update, but then when the start animation was churning for about 20 mins (I actually ended up turning off the watch and rebooting it), I highly suspected it was Wear 2.0.

So far, so good. Everything that was previously running on my watch is running fine on Wear 2.0, including Pujie Black (excellent watch face editor), Wear Mini Launcher, the AppFour Suite (Word, Mail, Photos, Videos, etc.), etc. I'm not sure why everyone is claiming it's laggy, because my watch is behaving butter smooth now -- much better than it used to behave. It will be interesting to see how the much whined about notification situation works for me. Apparently the notifications for Wear 2.0 and my phone are now "disconnected" or independent of each other, meaning I'm going to have to turn off notification on both my phone and my watch. Previously, if I dismissed the notification on one device it would also dismiss it on the other. Apparently Google is going to fix this in the near future, but until then I don't know how much I'm going to like it (or not).

Again, so far I'm really like it. My watch seems a lot smoother than before. I also like the new interface -- there's now a lot less swiping going on and the one button the watch does have is actually used a lot more now (for going back to the main screen, displaying the apps, and long-pressing for the Google Assistant...oh, and of course powering on/off).

So, now I'm probably going to buy a second ZW2. I have been waiting to do that until I saw how well Wear 2.0 works on it. My current one has a scratch on the screen (it's been there for a while and I don't usually notice it, but...), and the battery in this isn't going to last forever. It'd be good to have a backup before this one dies. I don't really care for the ZW3's round formfactor and I definitely don't care for it's significantly higher pricetag. I don't know. I may look at the ZW3 again. If I decide to go the ZW3 route, I will wait until my ZW2 dies. If I decide to get another ZW2, I'll get it now because the new ones are getting scarce. Refurbished ones are pretty popular still (and very inexpensive).

5. internetpilot

Actually, if I can correct myself, it wasn't notifications that are disconnected/independent, it's Do Not Disturb, which barely affects me at all. The longer it's running on my watch the smoother it seems to get. Not sure why so many people seem to be reviewing it as laggy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. internetpilot

Some additional things I noticed -- in addition to what is basically a completely new interface, the "stock" Asus Zenwatch watchfaces have greatly improved with Wear 2.0, too. With Wear 2.0 I'm no longer limited to just using the Asus equivalent app/data for displaying info on their watchfaces. For example, all along I've been annoyed by my steps, calories burned, etc., having to come from Asus ZenFit. This required me to have ZenFit sync with Google Fit, so the data that ZenFit was displaying would include my Google Fit data. Yes, it's exactly as convoluted as it sounds. Well, now I can just select to use Google Fit data directly on the Asus watchfaces. The same is true for weather -- I'm no longer limited to only using Asus Weather. I've always been disappointed with this limitation because the Asus watchfaces are actually really nice looking -- better than any 3rd-party watchface I've been able to find.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  7. scjjtt

IP - I'm SO happy for you & anxiously waiting for my update. I did see on XDA Developers how to side load it but I am hoping for the easy way - OTA.

I didn't like Mini Launcher the times I installed it on my Moto 360 & on my ZW2. I did like the fact that the Mini Launcher would ''hide'' the apps that one doesn't use but Android Wear 2.0 is suppose to give you the ability to actually remove the apps that you don't use. So my question is - will you keep the Mini Launcher now having Android 2.0?

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

internetpilot and jigwashere like this.
  8. scjjtt

IP - so will you continue to use Pujie Black (which I have as well but took off) now that you can have other weather & fitness show up on your watchface?

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

jigwashere likes this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

internetpilot and scjjtt like this.
  10. scjjtt

jigwashere likes this.