Asus Zenwatch 2?

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by internetpilot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - a couple of questions on the ZW2:

1. I'm not able to speak into the watch to reply or send a text. The voice recognition works up to, ''Ok, Google'' but I can't do anything beyond that.

2. My ZW2 even disconnects to BT with my phone right next to it at times. Does yours do that?

3. The watch will give me a message indicating it has turned off WiFi to save battery. I do have a 30 minute Power Save set up in the WiFi advance - but it seems to shut down before 30 minutes. I thought WiFi enabling was good so that it stay connected to the watch even after being out of BT range.

If you don't have these problems then I'm wondering if I should try to get a replacement for this reconditioned Amazon ZW2 while I'm in the 90 day warranty period.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

IP - I have just filled out a return on Ebay for this item, asking for them to send me another one. The B.T. keeps disconnecting from my phone, even when my phone is right in my pocket. Hopefully another unit will not have this problem. Hopefully I will get a return from this company.

jigwashere likes this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Sorry I just now saw this -- that's a bummer! No, I don't typically have that problem. Every once in a while my watch and phone won't talk so well, but that's a relatively rare event and even then I can't honestly say if it's the ZW2 or if it's my phone, because my phone is running a custom ROM, so I would probably suspect my phone's bluetooth before I would suspect the ZW2's. Also, I use the mic on my ZW2 all the time, especially for quick replies to texts messages.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. scjjtt

I returned my ZW2 back to the seller on Ebay and Saturday the replacement watch came in the mail. I had some issues trying to connect my new ZW2 to my phone. After unpairing my previous ZW2 and forgetting it from the BT list and rebooting both phone and watch I had to search on Google and found the following and followed that and I got everything to work.

"On the phone:

In Android Wear use the Disconnect... option.

In Android Wear, use Settings, Device settings and touch the watch name, Touch FORGET WATCH.

Settings, Bluetooth. If you still see the watch, touch Forget... the watch so it no longer appears in the list of paired devices.

Settings, Device, Apps, select Google Play Services. Clear cache and Clear data. Uninstall updates.

Settings, Device, Apps, select Google App. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.

Settings, Device, Apps, select Android Wear. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.

Play Store, Apps, My apps, touch the Update all button."

I do have to say that I spent way too much time fooling with the watch to pair than I should have. As I worked and reworked on the watch, before finding the above, I said to Mrs. scjjtt, "This is why people have Apple products - they just work!" I don't know if that is true or not - but don't tell me if it is not so I can keep thinking it and saying it.

The BT seems to be working fine now - now I just have to break away from my Pebble for awhile to really give it a chance.

5. internetpilot

I've always just handled un-pairing/re-pairing on the watch side. If you unpair the watch on the watch side of things, it will factor reset the watch. Yes, I found that out the hard way early on when I thought some bluetooth issues I was having would probably fix itself if un-paired/re-paired the watch and phone. Oops. Anyway, then when you pair the watch with the phone again, it copies everything (all your previous apps) back down to the watch.

EdmundDantes, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  6. internetpilot

Okay, the GREAT news is that the usual developer of the PureNexus ROM is still supporting the Nexus 6 with Android 7.1.2 even though Google no longer is. The bad news is that he decided to change the signature on the ROM, so it will no longer be considered an Engineering Build and will instead be a Production Build. Yeah, I don't really know what that means either, except that it's apparently a really big deal in the ROM developer world. However, what this means to me is that I had to clean flash this latest ROM update, whereas I can usually just dirty flash and don't have to reinstall apps, restore apps/data, and most importantly don't have to reset/re-pair my Asus Zenwatch 2 (which literally results in completely wiping it and reinstalling/syncing everything from my phone to the watch).

A couple months ago, someone more knowledgeable than me posted how to re-pair an AndroidWear watch to an Android phone without having to completely wipe/restore the watch. This seemed to work at first, but then my watch and all phone related apps really started vomiting errors every 5 seconds, force-closing, etc. So, apparently that method doesn't work after all...at least not with v7.1.2. Unfortunately, after resetting the watch, re-pairing it to my phone, and re-syncing all the apps back to the watch, things were still really wonky when it comes to notifications on the watch, Google Fit syncing between the phone and watch, etc. It took every single drop of tech knowledge and squirrely tricks I have about Android and AndroidWear to get things back working properly. I seriously think I used every bit of knowledge that I've ever learned about the OS. It was ridiculous.

So, I don't know if it's an issue between Android 7.1.2 and the current version of AndroidWear, or what, but now I know why people go for the iPhone and Apple Watch. Because if this had happened to most people, they wouldn't have been able to resolve it. That's not really tooting my own horn as much as it's whining about my 4 hours of misery. :(

It's working now, but to say I'm not looking forward to the next time I have to clean flash an update would be THE understatement.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    jigwashere, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Wow, good thing I don't have any interest in Smart Watches. I used to dirty flash a lot, but I now clean flash DU weekly. With my various tools like ROM backup, TiBu and Nova Launcher backup and SMS Backup and restore, it takes about 40 minutes from new boot to having everything restored and set up like it was before. It would drive me bananas if I had to do that with the watch each time. I think the watch would end up on a shelf with my TX. :vbwink:

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  8. internetpilot

I usually just use Titanium Backup for everything and I'm usually back up and running rather quickly on my phone.

I'm hoping for a different experience with Android Wear 2.0 since it will have its own Play Store and apparently be a lot less dependent on the phone. If not, I'll probably shelf the ZenWatch 2 myself and just get a Fitbit or something!

Although I have the funny feeling that Pure Nexus is going to likely drop support for the N6 when they move on to Oreo, so I'll probably just be dirty flashing/auto-updating LineageOS 15.x by then.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk