Asus Zenwatch 2?

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by internetpilot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP, I have been looking at those sales. I like the square style better for a watch than the round. I'm not as happy with my Pebble Time Steel as I thought, especially since Pebble has gone down. I agree, your watch does A LOT of stuff very well!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

Deal: ASUS ZenWatch 2 for just $79 – 2/24/17

Since my Pebble is only supported til 2018 & since internetpilot has one & since it is so low in price right now & since it is going to get Android Wear 2.0 and since it is a square style instead of circular and since one can answer calls with this watch - I placed my order for one.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/02/deal-asus-zenwatch-2-just-79-22417.html

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Whoa... I might have to get a backup, especially since I don't really like the ZenWatch 3.

I'm going to wait and see if I like Wear 2.0 on it or not. If so, well, I've paid more than that for watchbands, so...

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  4. scjjtt

My ZenWatch 2 came in on Tuesday. It is a beautiful watch! I personally like the display and layout a lot better than the Moto 360 that my son & I had (his stopped working right and I gave him mine). It works perfect with the 22mm Stainless Steel Butterfly Buckle Watch Band For Pebble Time, Pebble Time Steel 2015 (YESOO Retail Packaging - 180 Days Warranty) (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170NE366/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still trying to get it set up and re-reading this thread and will be looking into YouTube video's and Manuals on how to use it. I have yet to figure out how to receive and take a call on it.

IP, what SMS app are you using with it. I have a friend that is using EvolveSMS on his Moto 360 because it works with with Android Wear. For the last 6 months I've been using Textra SMS on my phone which I really like and it has no problem with my Pebble Time Steel - but it doesn't seem to play with Android Wear....

...well I just Google that last statement and according to...

https://androidcommunity.com/textra-sms-app-updated-with-android-wear-support-20140915/

...it does since version 2.4. I have 3.something and I don't seem to have it working on my watch yet - I'll give it another try.

5. internetpilot

I'm just using the Google Messenger app (as of a few days ago, now called Messages), which (of course) works great with Android Wear. I send voice texts through my watch all the time, both replies as well as new messages. I have the entire AppFour suite which also has a Messages for Wear, but Google Messages works so well with Android Wear there was really no reason to have the AppFour app on there, too.

In order to take a call on the watch (using the watch's mic and speaker), you have to go into the watch's Settings, Bluetooth, and check the radial for "Play phone audio on watch". Otherwise, you will be able to "answer" the call on your watch, but you'll have to talk and listen through your phone.

Owner tip: If you go into the ZenWatch Manager app, and scroll down to the bottom of the opening page, you'll see a list of recommended apps. These are all Asus apps, and most of them work really well, especially on the ZenWatch, but also on most Android phones. Asus ZenFit is a great app for tracking sleep and not a terrible app for tracking fitness activity. I mostly use Google Fit for tracking everything except sleep, because there is no sleep function except through a paid add-on. ZenFit syncs very well with Google Fit.

Another app I've had fun with is the ZenWatch Remote Camera. It allows you to take selfies, group shots (from a tripod), etc. using your ZW2 to frame the shot and a flick of your wrist to take the shot. It allows you to use your rear facing camera rather than the typically much lower resolution front facing camera on your phone. It's pretty fun and useful.

Most of the other stuff I do with my ZW2 I actually found out from you as it applies to Android Wear watches in general, but if I think of anything else I'll post it.

Congrats! I'm still really digging mine! I'm HIGHLY tempted to buy a second one, since I don't really like the ZW3, but I'm waiting to see how Android Wear 2.0 works on the ZW2. If it bogs it down or makes it unstable or whatever, I'll probably just get over my preference for a square watch and pick up a ZW3.

6. scjjtt

Well - I'm still wearing my Pebble Time Steel. I'm very disappointed in the B.T. range of the ZW. With my Pebble I can walk everywhere around our home & even outside & not lose BT connection with my phone. With the ZW2 it's like after 15-20 feet I'm losing connection & it is even less if there is a wall in-between.

I'm still playing with it - maybe it will grow on me. I'm probably going to need to have my Pebble go down to be forced to really adapt to it.

Mi An, Hook and raspabalsa like this.
  7. scjjtt

IP - Do you have both of these apps on at the same time on your devices: Wear Mini & ZenWatch?

8. scjjtt

IP - I took both Mini Ware and ZenWatch Manager off my phone. I did use ZenWatch to customize a couple of watch faces that I like and then took it off. It is 76mb big on my phone and I don't see any reason to keep it. After taking it off my phone, the watch has kept the customizations that I did on a few of the watch faces.

Mini Wear - too many options for me. It seem that I was pressing things that I really didn't like. It would be nice to hide apps that I don't use - but I only use a few and the last couple of used apps always show up before the list in alphabetic order.

I've order a screen protector and it is now sitting on my desk waiting for it.

It is a beautiful watch - I'm glad that I got it.

9. scjjtt

I won't need Mini Launcher to hid apps - when Android Wear 2.0 becomes available for the ZW2 I'll be able to do what Pebble allowed us to do all along.,

The author of this article says that Android Wear 2.0 won't bundle the notifications any more but they come in as separate notifications. The author says that is a bad thing - I disagree. That's the way Pebble handled them & the way I prefer them after experiencing both.

Android Wear 2.0 looks to be a good upgrade for my Asus ZenWatch 2!

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/245453-best-worst-things-android-wear-2-0

Mi An, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  10. internetpilot

I should probably delete ZenWatch Manager myself. I never use it since I don't use the stock watch faces. Lately I've only been using Pujie Black.

I love Wear Mini Launcher! I don't think I could use an Android Wear watch without it. I have disabled a lot of the functions, and use it almost solely for the launcher part. I have the icons set to being rather large, so my fat fingers don't stray too often.

I don't know how I feel about the rumors for Android Wear 2.0. I've really gotten used to using my ZenWatch 2 as a companion to my phone, and I'm getting a little worried that Android Wear 2.0 is going to turn it into too much of a non-synced device. A perfect example is the separation of do-not-disturb. I don't want to have silence my watch and phone separately. I really like it that when I turn it on via my phone or watch it does it for both devices. I feel the same about notifications. I don't want to have to dismiss a notification on both my watch and my phone.

Regarding the bluetooth range, remember the ZW2 has wifi to help with staying connected to your phone over longer distances, but you have to turn that feature on. If you don't have the phone call feature turned on, you'll default to low power bluetooth mode, which doesn't have anywhere near the range of regular bluetooth. So, if you turn on the feature to answer and talk on the phone through your watch, that forces you into full bluetooth mode. Of course, that uses more battery, but that's always the case with connectivity.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.