Asus Zenwatch 2?

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by internetpilot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

All this chit-chat (okay, 3 posts, but...) about smartwatches got me looking into them. Okay, so I'm a nerd.

Anyway, I was looking long and hard at the various Pebble line, but was having trouble paying that much ($99-149) when I noticed the typically well-reviewed Asus Zenwatch 2 is only $99 now. Anyone have any experience with it? It seems to be rather well-reviewed just about everywhere I've found, but I value Brighthand member's opinions far more than the average Johnny Strangernerd out there on the internet.

Things I liked about it (from just reading):
    - Android
    - Nice screen
    - Looks pretty
    - It's big
    - It's shiny
    - It's nerdy

Negative things I've read about, but don't care all that much:
    - Typically will need to be charged daily (like at night when sleeping)
    - Apparently the screen can be difficult to see in really bright sunlight, but I'm a vampire so...
    - Pedometer inaccuracies (on this subject I'm not entirely sure, because just about every other pedometer I've tried seems to grossly exaggerate my number of steps when I'm pretty much crippled, so maybe the people don't like the Asus ZW2 because it's actually accurate???)

Negative things I've read about, that kinda bother me:
    - It seems to be at best "splash resistant". Not that I'm going to go swimming with my smartwatch, but...y'know...accidents (and wild parties) happen, so.... Okay, who I'm kidding. At my age I'm just concerned that it won't survive a toilet drop.

Incidentally, I'm retired, so my only purpose for this watch is (1) Nerd and (2) Lazy. Yep, I'd like to just sit in my recliner with my phone charging on the kitchen counter and still see my texts, Facebook messages, etc. All the other features (which I will actually likely use) are just gravy, proof of concept, etc., at least to me. But, yeah, I still want one. :D

Hook, raspabalsa, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - the reviews claim that the battery life is not too good. If it is anything like the Moto 360 - don't expect to get a whole day with the watch unless you have a chance to recharge it during the day.

The way my son gets through a day with his Moto 360 is he just quickly looks at notifications & determines if he needs to reply which he does only with his phone.

I got use to reading, responding to notifications, especially SMS, with my Pebble. Doing that with the Moto 360, & having the screen on really eats up the battery life.

I have a charger for my Moto 360 on my desk at home & at the office. It doesn't take very long (15-30 minutes) to get the watch charged up.

Right now I'm on a trip to CA, in meetings & the weekend with our daughter & family in San Diego. I brought my Moto 360 - but I've just been using my Pebble Steel. I don't have to worry about the battery. It goes into Navigation mode with Google while traveling (which could be done with the Moto 360 but with screen use and turn vibrations it would not let the battery last very long at all). I can respond to everything with my Pebble Steel watch without having to use myS4 if I like.

The Moto 360 screen is great & I'm sure the Asus Zen 2 is too! Android Wear is great & powerful. My only concern would be the issues with short battery life.

I like the look & layout of the Asus Zen 2 better than the Moto 360. It definitely can do a lot but it comes at a price - a drained battery.

Good luck & keep us updated.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. internetpilot

I'm probably going to end up just not buying anything. I can't see paying more for a Pebble Time Steel than an Asus Zenwatch 2, but the Pebble Time (no Steel) doesn't seem very durable (apparently the bezel almost immediately scratches the finish right off), and I really want color so the original Pebble Steel model is out. I might end up with the Zenwatch 2. Remember, I'm retired so it's purely a lazy, luxury gadget for me. I could see me using it in spurts -- definitely the first few weeks that I have it, and then some days more than others after that. Eventually I could easily see me not touching it all day for several days, and then draining the battery by lunch the next day. I'm flip-flopping again. This is exactly why I haven't bought a smartwatch yet. Haha.

raspabalsa, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. scjjtt

Well after everything I said about battery life, today, I had the best result with my Moto 360 since I've had it. I started wearing it at 7am and at 10pm I have 43% battery left.

I had two differrent apps working SMS and email. Today, I blocked the original apps and went with only one app for email and one app for SMS to receive notifications. With that, and having less texts today, being out of the office and at a 3 day seminar, the battery drain was less. Still, under normal use, I think these changes may make the Moto 360 usable for a whole day.

I also went back to an original watch face instead of the one I purchased and created - that may have helped too, especially not using the one that shows the battery level for the watch, the phone and weather.

With all of this said, I would imagine that the Asus Zen 2 could have the same results of battery life as the Moto 360.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

5. internetpilot

Okay, you're simply not helping! Haha. You were supposed to convince me that I was just being stupid for even considering the Asus Zenwatch 2, and that I should just go for the Pebble Time Steel. Now I'm back to jonesing for the Zenwatch 2... ;)

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

in a wee, small voice, RA says:
    r0k has an iWatch™®© he's not using
    just sayin'

7. scjjtt

IP - once again it is what you're going to use your watch for. After my seminar, we traveled to San Diego to be with our daughter, husband & 5 kids. I used my Pebble - because the Navigation on it is great. It is nice to turn off my phone screen & have a watch vibrate 2 & 1 mile and 500 & 250 feet before a turn. It just helps me in unfamiliar areas to keep my eyes on the road with less looking at my phone screen. Along with the voice commands it is really helpful. It would work with the Moto 360 but the battery drain makes it really unusable.

For me, the Pebble is perfect. I really like the color of the display of my wife's Pebble Round. It is the same as the Pebble Steel Time. Pebble's IU is so easy & simple to use. Pebble has found a way that a watch can simply assist me & the way that I live & operate.

But if you get the Asus Zenwatch 2 then we will have a B.H. member that can give us a great personal review of that watch - which we would all enjoy too!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  8. internetpilot

C'mon...I know I don't post here anywhere near as frequent as I used to, but you should still know by now that I spell Apple as "Appl" in order to make it a four-letter word like it should be. I guess I could connect it to my sons' old iPads (maybe???), but other than that there's nothing I have in this household that wouldn't quickly turn that iWatch from a smartwatch to a dumbwatch... ;)

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  9. internetpilot

Oh dear...I'm getting that feeling...wait...no...yes...no...wait...yes...yep, definitely. I absolutely NEED BOTH the Pebble Time Steel and the Asus Zenwatch 2. Time to go to Amex.com and see when the billing cycle ends, so the dear wife (and bill payer) won't see the charge for about 30 days.

Y'know, it's the only way to be sure....

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

hence the wee, small voice :vbgrin: