As per Best Buy T|E is being phased out...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Miklos, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miklos

Miklos Mobile Consultant

I was just at our local Best Buy (in Mississauga, Ontario).

I saw, that the T|E's are currently on a promotion: you buy a T|E you (CAN$ 299.-) you get a Palm metal case for free (price $59.-).

When asking the sales person why that was, he was pretty sure that the T|E-s are being phased out, so this is the final sale, to get rid off the remaining stocks.

Anybody heard similar stories? Does the same promotion exist in the US as well?

Miklos

2. Chappell41

Chappell41 Mobile Deity

When I got my T/E in the mail from Best Buy last week, I called their customer service because the package had a cut in it and I was worried about my handheld; thinking that someone might have messed with it since you could easily pop the unit out of the package due to the cut. Anyway, while talking to customer service, the lady said that they were sold out and might not be getting anymore T/E's back in stock. I couldn't understand why, but it would certainly make sense if they "were" going to be phased out.

3. molarman

molarman Mobile Enthusiast

It is my understanding that Best Buy is making significant changes to their PDA offerings. The T|E may be one of the casualties, but it only means that it is no longer available from Best Buy - not that the T|E will soon be out of production.

I think. :)

4. Miklos

Miklos Mobile Consultant

molarman, I hope you are right. The only question is then: why would palm run that promotion with the free case?

5. alfons

alfons Happy Senior Member!

What exactly would be the problem if the E would be phased out? Would, by being phased out, our E?s suddenly vanish from our hands? Would being phased out mean, that the E is a bad handheld? Well - is it? Would it/could it be any worse by being phased out as it is - in our hands - now already?

6. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

From what has been the buzz, Best Buy has been phasing out or reducing all PDA offerings.

The free case maybe incentive to help Best Buy reduce inventory but yet meet contractual obligations. No different than a promotional rebate. they may have hands tied to the price the unit can be sold for, so the case offering is that incentive.

If case was whole sale at $20, retail at $40, then you the customer realize $40 savings, but in real numbers the cost to retailer is $20, but absorbed by the markup that is required by the contracted purchase / sales agreement.

Also, history has demonstrated that Palm offers more incentives just prior (2 -3 months) to releasing new models, so retailers are not maintaining prior models on inventory. (make room on shelve for new models)

7. Miklos

Miklos Mobile Consultant

Since the promotion is from Palm not from BestBuy ( the original T|E "box" mentions the promotion on the inside) that could well indicate the end of the T|E sales...

BestBuy is just selling what Palm gave them...

8. maxq1023

maxq1023 Mobile Evangelist

Great....first my screen makes a noise and now this! The end of TE! I surely hope not! I love mine! I just wished that it didn't make that buzzing noise....oh well....

9. fathom

fathom Mobile Consultant

If I were Palm, I would phase it out too. Too good of a model for too cheap. Can't sell the other models, can't make any money!!!

10. busted T|E

busted T|E Mobile Enthusiast

Interesting developments, to say the least. I wonder if it's just best buy or if other stores are phasing it out too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.