As Patch Tuesday approaches, turn off Automatic Update temporarily and — especially — disengage IE

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Oct 7, 2019.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This is the stuff of nightmares. Seriously. This whole OS as a service is just bunk. I need an OS that works, not an OS that gets 'feature' updates twice a year. Enterprise could give a rats patootie about that stuff. They need their tried and true LOB software to work, without issue. These bugs they keep introducing are beyond frustrating. The start menu breaking? Win 7 never had this issue. The fact that the start menu is in itself an app, and can break is just flat out pathetic. I honestly have not been so disappointed in an OS before. The uncertainty of stability, let alone feature availability are troubling. I manage ~600 workstations. The problems I encounter on Windows 10 vs those on Win 7 are enough to make you bang your head against a wall. It is nearly two operating systems cobbled together into one. You have your crap store apps which are just a giant pain in the rear. You can't easily manage them without doing something with Azure cloud, which is cost prohibitive for an organization of our size. So then you're reduce to 'breaking' the store so people can't go installing unauthorized apps. Then you have the traditional Win32/Win64 software. That should work, except that all these feature updates make that uncertain. Heck, a feature update breaks some enterprise Microsoft tools, which you have to reinstall after every update. Seriously?

Back to a fleet of laptops that lost network connectivity due to a recent Microsoft patch. Blargh...

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

You should be able to push through that problem by using the update assistant. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

hc, you're validating everything that I feel about Win 7 and Win 10. It's beyond frustrating. :vbmad:

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I can't even seem to turn off updates. I Googled a while back and thought I did all the steps to stop it; but I still get forced updates. I haven't had those specific problems; but Windows 10 is just plain awful. I have nothing good to say about it. Today is Wednesday and a I think I had a forced update on Monday. I got the notification that said my PC would restart outside of the time I set as off-limits. But when I turned off the laptop that night, it didn't do the update as it usually does (I guess I was still in the window, although in the past it seemed to update under those circumstances anyway). The next day, the laptop was so laggy I restarted (again well within off-limits hours) but the update went through. So I really don't know how to stop them anyway.

lelisa13p, headcronie and RickAgresta like this.
  5. headcronie

I live and work on Microsoft Windows. It does not mean I love it. I'm not a Microsoft evangelist. It's the best for the purposes we need. But... it sure smells like a pile of cow poo right now.

Good luck with trying to disable, Edmund. Unless you're using Enterprise SKUs, you really don't have any ability to really shut it down. I understand the reasoning, but their implementation is just terrible...

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I just checked my Settings and it appears that my 8-day delay is still holding firm.

In Settings > Updates and Security, I selected Pause Updates on Screen #1 first and then chose Advanced Options, opening up Screen #2, where most of the changes are made . There's no Save or Done button; you just close the window. (I also confirmed my changes by returning to Screen #1 to be sure.)

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

For what (very little) it's worth, my work W10 laptop tells me it needs to restart to install updates, but going through that dance results in no update ("there was an error; some files are missing or corrupted"). The "version" is 1803…
    still and all, W10 is better than Windows for Workgroups 3.I_can't_remember :vbrolleyes:

8. headcronie

Yeah, I've seen that before. One of two scenarios will ensue: Your device will stagnate on 1803 and fall through the cracks and remain on 1803 indefinitely, or someone will finally catch it and force a reimage of the system. It shouldn't be that way. The feature update is massively inconvenient in an enterprise. I'm trying to shuttle all my systems to 1809, as the fall releases now have close to 3 years of support. I've still got quite the spread, and some of them are offline and impossible to track down. I did manage to push every system off 1703, thankfully. 1709 is dwindling.. next big hurdle is 1803. That, and banishing those remaining Win 7 systems. Report below is taken from Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager. That's what we use to deploy and update OS versions. I did some pruning, so I'm now down to about 540 systems I manage.

upload_2019-10-11_7-53-55.png

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

When I retired at the end of August, our enterprise was only at 1709. This is the same enterprise that only moved from Vista to Win 7 a year after Win 8 came out and they would get in new computers with Win 7 on them and wipe them and install Vista. :vbrolleyes:

The good news is they skipped over Win 8 altogether. :thumbsup:

10. headcronie