Are there alternatives to the Samsung Galaxy Note II?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by DruePhoenix, May 1, 2013.

1. DruePhoenix

DruePhoenix Newbie

So it's been over two years and my Htc EVO 4G isn't the top notch fancy phone it once was.

I'm very much looking to stick with an Android phone on the Sprint Network, and there are a lot of features I love on the Note II. The one thing I have a problem with is its size, the thing is huge!

I love the battery life and the powerful processors and all that, but I'd prefer a phone that fits comfortably in my pocket and doesn't feel like I'm holding a saucer against my face.

Is there a happy alternative out there? The Galaxy IV looks nice but I am frankly done with the phones with terrible battery life.

Any ideas?

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Get a Galaxy S3 and swap out the stock battery and back cover for an extended battery life with a reshaped back cover (removable covers and removable batteries for the win). Something like this 4200 mAh instead of the stock 2100 mAh (as just one example; I'm not endorsing this particular brand):

Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999,

Well I guess it'd be "get a Galaxy S4" nowadays, but still, same strategy applies.

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

As a Note II owner, you get used to holding a brick to your head. I've added to the bulk of mine, and put it in an OtterBox Defender. Yes it is huge, but I'm absolutely thrilled with the other aspects of it. If size is the only thing that is the negative, you may wish to just go for it.

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The Galaxy S4 should have far superior battery life over the EVO 4G (like the difference between a 747 over a Sopwith Camel). In fact, short of the Note 2, it should have among the best battery life for any phone right now.

Heck, not too long ago, phones were getting better battery life over the EVO 4G. For example, the EVO 3D alone would run rings around it. The S3's battery life in turn is superior over the EVO 3D.

This is from my experience, estimates and observations in battery life. From top to bottom

Probably here for the Droid RAZR HD Maxx
    Galaxy Note 2
    Probably here for Galaxy S4
    Probably here for the HTC One and Xperia Z.
    Droid DNA + Nexus 4 (tie)
    Probably here for HTC One X or EVO 4G LTE (dual core Qualcomm S4)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (quad core Exynos)
    Probably here for HTC One X (quad core Tegra 3)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    HTC Sensation
    Samsung Galaxy S
    HTC EVO 4G / Droid Incredible

Should note that more powerful processors are in fact, far more power efficient than old ones as well. The Tegra 3 for example, has superior standby times over first and second generation Qualcomm Snapdragons. The dual core Exynos 5250 used on the Nexus 10, which is definitely much more powerful over the Tegra 3 (used on the Nexus 7), also has better standby times over the Tegra 3.

Newer screens, even with much higher resolutions, are also much more battery efficient than the old ones. On top of these, Jellybean is generally more battery efficient over its predecessors as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

For something not Samsung or HTC, there is also the upcoming Optimus G Pro, which is the Note 2 size, but has a higher resolution and a Qualcomm S600. I would estimate its battery life to be between the Note 2 and the RAZR HD Maxx.

There is also an incoming 'mini' version of the G Pro, which has the same specs, but instead of a 5.5" 1080p screen, it has a 5" 1080p screen. The battery of this baby is still the same as the bigger one.