Are Smartphone Cases Really Necessary? Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My Treo Pro is super slippery. I've had it in various holsters, and found it difficult to keep secure. I bought a silicone slipcase for it, and have not looked back. Got rid of all my holsters and belt clips. Now it just sits in my pocket. The screen has taken a few scratches, but I've got a screen protector on it, so the actual screen is ok.

Only time it ever comes out, is when I cradle it while at work. Cradle doesn't provide for any case. At least the slipcover pops off in under a second.

3. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I use a Zagg invisible shield on my G2. It doesn't add bulk, or change the look. I never liked cases just because of the added bulk.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I have a holster to carry it on my belt, but my Nexus One is never in a case. I love how it feels in my hand and have no desire to put a case on it. I did keep my TX in a leather case, but that was largely because it traveled in my pocket rather than on my belt. Even with my TX, I didn't use screen protectors.

I know the risks, but to me it's worth it. Why pay so much for a device that feels so good just to slap an ugly case on it? :)

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I put my otterbox commuter case back on my droid recently. I was using it a great deal without a case, but it had a few...mishaps, mainly falling from desk to floor, hands to floor, off the dog to the floor....you get the idea. It's banged up but functions great, except the already balky battery door is shot. It no longer sits flush with the case.

So back to the Otterbox, which isn't so bulky when you get used to it. Besides, it also helpfully covers ports, which makes me feel better about keeping my droid in my jacket pocket when I'm running in bad weather. While the jacket does a reasonable job of protecting my phone, it's still not perfect and the extra coverage is nice.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have an Apple supplied case for my iPhone 4. I actually liked it better before putting it in the case. The case isn't slippery and anything I put in the same pocket with my iPhone gets pulled out with my iPhone whenever I try to answer a call. There is a concern about glass breakage so that along with antenna performance is enough to make me live with the case situation but the iPhone 4 is the first device I've ever bothered with a case.

After walking around with a BB 8830 and an iPod Touch (which together were thinner than either of my Treos), the iPhone 4 seems tiny even in its case. Still, if I had my way, I'd carry it without a case. Another option would be to use invisible shield on front and back and then I wouldn't worry as much about breakage. All I'd need then would be a little band aid over the "death grip" spot.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

If I recall correctly, you have a rule keeping your smartphone out of your shirt pocket. I need a rule like that.

EDIT: Added link.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I learned the phon-in-shirtpocket thing a long time ago, when my V60 dropped out when I was reaching for a beer from the beer fridge. Fortunately, nothing happened to it. No more phones/pdas in that pocket though.

I'm curious how it came out of your pocket walking up stairs though. That seems odd.

Anyway, the Pogue at the Times did a thing on this, saying he didn't see a need for a case; but then again, he had never had a device fall out of his pocket (yet).

I'm hyper, so I usually want it in some kind of case.

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I got scratches all over my Droid Incredible and Desire Z. I now use an Otter Case for the DI, but I have not found a good one for the DZ. its not likely I will for the DZ, since I never cased any slider, such as my old Nokia N85.

The Otter case turned the slim sleek DI into a Nokia like brick. Its now actually thicker than the DZ. It looks like it can go toe to toe with the weather elements. Suffice to say, there is some visual appeal to it, but it also limits the kind of leather holsters that will fit.

Generally I would prefer not to put cases on phones that are meant to be slim. One of the reasons you pay for them is the way it feels in your hand. HTC phones especially should be held bare naked to be appreciated. Never cased my Nexus One (used only in travels) or Droid Eris, retired, though I kept a classy wallet like case on my Desire (only used in travels).

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I have always used cases until my Centro. Cases have not only protected my various devices (all Palms: III, IIIC, V, T3, Tx, and others I cannot remember), but I got top dollar when I sold them. I started using my Centro with a case because of my previous experience with PDA's. I tired several cases but did not like any of them. My wife has a silicone case on hers. I have always used screen protectors. I have an iPod Touch which is in a case with the screen protector and it is perfect condition. I will be able to sell it on eBay for enough $$$ to pay for my new Verizon iPhone. Fortunately, it really doesn't matter that my Centro has been case-less for 2 years because there is no resale value for it. I will try an case on my new iPhone but I may decide to use it case-less. I will probably put a screen protector on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.