Are Flagship Smartphones really that important?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by LandSurveyor, May 10, 2017.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I mean, is it really necessary or even advisable to pay $700 to $1k for a phone any more?

If you see an advert from a device manufacturer, it will be one of these models. The carriers may show some less expensive models but their interest is selling you their service, not so much the device.

Back in the exciting days of the PDA, we always awaited the next great thing but tech was improving at a rapid rate and we could see that the devices we already had in our hands were being rapidly outdated.

Nowadays, things seem to have leveled off and the mid-tier devices seem to offer all the day-to-day functionality anybody could need. Now the ads for the flagships are more focused on their exterior and not so much their capabilities (or am I the only one who thinks so?) .

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I never thought it was advisable, but then I still think social networking is a fad and Firefly could come back... someday. So what do I know? And I shouldn't say never. Most flagships haven't appealed to me, but the Galaxy Note 2 made me drool a little.

Snapdragon 625 impresses me big time. 1080p stretched across 5.5" may not be impressive, but it's certainly good enough for me. But there are also the budget flagships (oneplus and zte et al) and the relatively quickly marked down models (LG and Moto usually mark down flagships fairly fast) so you can run a few months behind and get most of the goodies for $400-500. There are a lot of ways to save.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There's still a dramatic camera quality gap between flagship smartphones and most mid-range devices. For people like me where my phone is my only camera and how I document my kids' childhoods, a flagship is still worth it.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. LandSurveyor

My Moto X Pure surprised me by having the capability to capture 21mp pix, I reduced it to 16 because 21 is really excessive. Then again, high mp and photo quality are not exactly the same thing. Still, it takes pretty good shots. I use it for my personal stuff and also for work.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My S7 Edge has fewer megapixels than my Moto X 2014 did, but takes FAR better pictures. Even in the best of conditions, the Moto X's megapixel count was overkill for the rest of the camera.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. LandSurveyor

I recall having a family photo taken years ago to present to our parents. My brother plus his wife and child along with myself, my spouse and son. I believe the portrait was something on the order of 12 x18 and looked great.

I asked the photographer a few questions about his DSLR. Megapixels: 6. Bear in mind this was about 15 years ago.

Mitlov and scjjtt like this.